Juniper lumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Whas it good for? Ok that was a song, Seriously, tell us a little about Juniper Wood.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Highly prized by the old time boat builders on the coast. Rot resistant and very light. In the cedar family, I believe. Smells great!

:wsmile:

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Reggie is correct. Juniper is the traditional boat building lumber along the NC coast. It's also known as Atlantic white cedar. Your shop will smell great while you're working with it. It is excellent for any outdoor project, and in fact may be the best locally available domestic hardwood for that purpose. Less movement than cypress, and it's very rot resistant, and works easily. It looks nice too. Our whole master bath - walls, cabinets, etc. is all juniper. It's becoming harder and harder to find quality material.

Matt

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I love common plant names :roll::roll:. Atlantic White Cedar isn't a Juniper nor really a Cedar it's Chamaecyparis thyroides most commonly known as Cypress or Falsecypress. It is a common timber on the eastern coastal fringe. I would guess that the lumber that Jack is talking about is Eastern Red Cedar, a timber more common around the area he resides. ERC isn't really a Cedar either it's Juniperus virginiana, a Juniper. And then that brings me to what we all call Cypress which is Taxodium spp.
Cedar and Cypress are common names that refer to many genus of trees. Interesting that a "true" Cedar is Cedrus and there are only two true species in that genus. Cedar of Lebanon and Deodar Cedar with a few regional variations as subspecies.
And the only true Cypress is Cupressus and more losely Chamaecyparis. The Cupressus genus contains many species that are not found in N. America, but the most commonly found (and sadly so) is the Leyland Cypress - Cupressus leylandii.

Dave:)

saw4you

New User
Jack
I have cypress which is cypress and juniper which is atlantic white cedar, great for building boats and outdoor projects

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I love common plant names :roll::roll:. Atlantic White Cedar isn't a Juniper nor really a Cedar it's Chamaecyparis thyroides most commonly known as Cypress or Falsecypress. It is a common timber on the eastern coastal fringe. I would guess that the lumber that Jack is talking about is Eastern Red Cedar, a timber more common around the area he resides. ERC isn't really a Cedar either it's Juniperus virginiana, a Juniper. And then that brings me to what we all call Cypress which is Taxodium spp.
Cedar and Cypress are common names that refer to many genus of trees. Interesting that a "true" Cedar is Cedrus and there are only two true species in that genus. Cedar of Lebanon and Deodar Cedar with a few regional variations as subspecies.
And the only true Cypress is Cupressus and more losely Chamaecyparis. The Cupressus genus contains many species that are not found in N. America, but the most commonly found (and sadly so) is the Leyland Cypress - Cupressus leylandii.

:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

Ivey

New User
Ivey
Hard to find anymore, I sawed about 800 b/f Saturday. Everything around the sawmill barn smells good now.:gar-Bi All of these tree names gets me confused:icon_scra

Ivey

New User
Ivey
I picked up the few juniper logs that I had from another log yard, so could not tell you what the stump looked like, sorry...

BTW Jack, not trying to steal your thread:eek:ccasion1

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff

This explanation would have been so much easier to understand if you had tried some more of that mangled English you were promoting in a different thread.:rotflm:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
This explanation would have been so much easier to understand if you had tried some more of that mangled English you were promoting in a different thread.:rotflm:

Are you hainvg prbeloms randieg some of tehse ptsniogs Bdgoig ? :rotflm:

tsmart

New User
Troy
I picked up the few juniper logs that I had from another log yard, so could not tell you what the stump looked like, sorry...

BTW Jack, not trying to steal your thread:eek:ccasion1

10-4.

Reason I ask.... is I pittle w/ duck and goose decoys. I'm not a decoy carver, but aspire to make a few to hunt over - old school decoys, made in the traditional ways with tradition materials (Juniper).

One decoy maker (Nick Sapone), had once told me that Juniper is best when cut in the dead of winter (while the sap is down). And if the stump is "wet", you need to be concerned with sap coming out of the decoys - which in turn, results in having to use and epoxy to seal the wood (and the epoxy kit - is like $150)...

I'm mainly looking for "scrap" sized pcs of Juniper, that boat builders throw away:help:. Hate to order it in full boards, because it can get pricey... so if y'all have any "scrap", please keep me in mind (or if your board stock isn't outrageous, I would be interested in that too). :icon_thum

Thanks,
T.

PS Jack - you have a PM

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Are you hainvg prbeloms randieg some of tehse ptsniogs Bdgoig ? :rotflm:

I don't have any problem understanding that jibberish! My right brain communicates with my left brain (most of the time)!! But....the jibberish drives me crazy (short trip!)! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
"Interesting that a "true" Cedar is Cedrus and there are only two true species in that genus. Cedar of Lebanon and Deodar Cedar with a few regional variations as subspecies."

hey Dave, does Old Spice happen to make that Cedar deodorant? :gar-Bi

But seriously, I get 4 by 4's from a guy near here who recovers them from large shipping crates, and resaw them for boards. He calls them White Cedar. When I mill them the shop smells like Cinammon, well kinda. It's definitely a nice spicy small, nothing like Eastern Red Cedar, or Eastern Red Juniper, whatever it is that's growing around here.
So, is the spicy smelling stuff Atlantic White Cedar, really? :icon_scra

JackLeg

New User
Reggie

I only know what the Coastal "Old Timers" who have been building boats for over 150 years out of "JUNIPER" tell me. Another thing I know for sure is, Juniper is NOT ERC! Not even close! In look, grain, weight, smell and usage, it's very close to cypress.

M3CW!

:wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS