Juniper for boats

BML

Lee
Senior User
Hello,

Is anyone aware of a good source of juniper lumber, to be used for boat building? Preferably in NC or close enough to drive.

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
What you are looking for is Atlantic White Cedar, if memory serves me correct.

Last edited:

BML

Lee
Senior User
Thanks for the replies...yes, I have read some about terminology mix up with juniper vs Atlantic white cedar.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Juniper and Atlantic white cedar are the same wood, at least as referred to in eastern NC. The boatbuilders of eastern NC tend to call it juniper, and it is the traditional material for building wooden boats in coastal NC. Probably the biggest supplier is Gates Custom Milling in Gates County: Atlantic White Cedar - Gates Custom Milling. It is a huge operation. I went there a couple of years ago to purchase a bunch of juniper siding. Very nice people. They are primarily wholesalers if I am not mistaken, and I'm not sure how small a quantity they will sell. It would be worth calling them. It is not the kind of place that you can pick through lumber to find what you want. When I ordered the siding, it was ready to go when I arrived, bundled and strapped, and they loaded it on my trailer, and I was on my way.

Hope this helps.

Matt

BML

Lee
Senior User
Matt,

Thank you for the reply and information. I’ll save that contact and get in contact with them before long.

Bryan

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I bought some juniper (aka Atlantic white cedar) from Jack Murdock several years ago. I've seen some references that also call juniper Eastern red cedar but what I got from Jack was definitely not Eastern red cedar.

plcrawfo

Philip
User
Bryan,

Any luck finding the cedar? I'm also starting a traditional lapstrake boat soon and was considering either cypress or white cedar for planking. Interested to know what you utimately found/ decided.

Mind sharing what type of boat you have in mind?

Philip

The lumber company in Gatesville (mentioned above) is the primary source for the boat builders on the Outer Banks. I have purchased from them and also form a lumber yard close to Columbia, NC, on highway 64 not milled whose name I can't remember but I can get for you if you want non-milled. The non-milled seemed to have a lot of waste.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS