Jump rope handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
My wife owns a gym so I'm repairing stuff there all the time. Last night she brought home a jump rope with a broken handle and asked if I could fix it. A new challenge!

The rope is plastic with a molded end so it does not slip through the hole in the handle, obviously it was molded after the handle was put on at the factory.

My idea is to temporarily glue 2 pieces of wood together, turn a new handle and bore a hole for the rope. Separate the the 2 pieces at the glue joint then glue it back together around the rope.

If I use white glue and sandwich a piece of heavy paper in the temporary glue joint will it hold up to boring a hole yet be able to separate the two pieces?

Rick Doby

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That should work, or I might try hot melt glue. Either way use the least amount of glue to hold just enough for drilling. Or you could turn and bore on the lathe then cut into and re-glue with a contrasting insert to make up the lost wood. You would have to hand sand the inserted piece to the contour. A little more hand work but would look very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors