July 2016 Contest - Veneer

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry to be a little late again getting this started. I think Dan is chomping at the bit to post something here. Good luck to all.

Woodmolds

Tony
User
1209151849-1.jpg1209151848-1.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ken,

Any special rules to the contest?

Thanks,

--Bill

Only rules are to have done it yourself and to have good pictures of the project. The public will vote for the winners so the best photos will help the winning entry.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Um, is there a 'work by mere mortals' sub-category for this contest?

OMG.

Maybe a "Fewer than 100 individual pieces in three square inches and/or 12 exotic species" category?

;-)

K

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Here's some veneer work done on a desk several years ago. Unlike the small details of the work submitted by other builders, these pieces of veneer are rather large and all self cut from wood I have in a stack. More along the lines of a "mere mortal" type project. Kevins eyes won't get crossed trying to figure out the starting point on these guys.

DSC07283.JPG

Drawers are matched in sequence for some harmony
brass_escutcheon_plates_003.JPG

The raised panels and the lid are not veneer. Solid. A challenge.
1bb.JPG
I

More recent work below-- this is a Linen Press. Basically a 2 piece set of cabinets. This is veneer taken to an extreme. All of the raised panels, face frames and drawer fronts are veneered with walnut crotch and quarter sawn walnut. All of the veneer is 1/16- 3/32" thick. Lots more to work with when you go to plane and scrape.

brass_escutcheons_LP_013.JPG

brass_escutcheons_LP_012.JPG

Something of interest maybe? No clamps were used to veneer both projects.

Veneer_Press_0011.jpg

French veneer saw from Gramercy Park tools was very nice to work the heavy veneers.

That is not my line and berry work in the background. I am just showing a tool I used and this was on the web so I just plugged it in.
veneer_saw_TFWW.jpg

Here's some of the stock that get cut down to veneer
c21.jpg

c5.jpg

This walnut is not easy to employ as solid wood but when you glue it down to hard wood(walnut) you can stabalize it and give a piece of furniture a unique look.
drwr_scraped.JPG

The veneer cut out for the desk drawer fronts. Ready for the hot hide glue and the veneer hammer.

This is certainly not the small detailed work of the earlier pieces. The effects of the small inlays is just fantastic. Wish there was some summary of the building stages on both of the other pieces submitted??
applied_layers_24_.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I kind of thought Dan might have something to contribute to this months contest. Very nice. This will be a very good contest - good luck to all. I look forward to the voting - all entries are superb so far.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Alright Dan, I'll bite-here's how scales was done.

Started off with the shape:

scales-base-pattern-piece.jpg

Then I made a grid of the overall pattern:
scales-layout-grid.jpg

Then I rough cut the shapes out of the 4 veneer species and sand shaded the edges

scales-burning-e1462662054146.jpg

scales-pieces-e1462662119303.jpg

Then to the scrollsaw to "cut in each piece"

cutting-scales.jpg

Then back to the grid to add the "cut in pieces" to the growing pattern

scales-pattern-layout.jpg

Then when it's done it's just like a single sheet of veneer to be pressed onto the substrate of your choice:

Scales-veneer-sheet-e1464049390841.jpg

Hope this helps everybody to visualize the process!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
More along the lines of a "mere mortal" type project. Kevins eyes won't get crossed trying to figure out the starting point on these guys.
Well, I don't know about anyone else but I do not consider "shop-cut veneer for the secretary I am building" anywhere close to a "mere-mortal" project...
All the submissions are jaw-dropping, and reaffirm the level of talented members NCWW can boast!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Please don't let the quality of the previous entries deter you from posting your entry. We would love to see several more examples. You can't win if you don't enter.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I kind of thought Dan might have something to contribute to this months contest. Very nice. This will be a very good contest - good luck to all. I look forward to the voting - all entries are superb so far.

Hey Ken
Is there a voting thread for July some place? Its the last day of the month.

Dan

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm currently traveling and will close out July and start August Tuesday when I get back. So try to get ahold of Steve Honeycutt or one of the admins via the helpdesk forum for help uploading pictures. You have a couple extra days because I'm on the road right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS