Judging if spalting went too far

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
A bunch of firewood caught my eye yesterday. It was at the convenience store (gas station) across from the Ace Hardware on 55 in Apex about a mile north of US1, in case anyone is nearby and wants to take a look. Anyway, a lot of the pieces were pretty squared off, about 4"x4" with no cracks on the ends and a lot of spalting. There were several bundles in similar condition. I was tempted to get one, figuring I could always just burn it, but I didn't. I wasn't sure if the spalting had gone too far and I am not exactly sure what the wood is. There were variances in color; I think it was more than one kind. I don't turn, so I am really not sure what I would do with it, but if it is hard enough, there are some nice vessel or small bowl blanks there.

Ed DelCogliano

New User
Ed
Hi Andy,
I have done some turning in spalted oak. As long as the wood is hard and the spalting intack it should be ok. I turned a vase one time and the spalting showed up as an bird with it's wings out, really cool looking. I have question for you being you are online right now. How do you put pictures on the post. As far as I can see you have to have a url. is there some place where you can put on a picture from a file you have on your own computer. thanks ED

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
There is a gallery here, but I tend to use Photobucket because it has some features that make it a little easier, like providing the link in the IMG format for forums like this.

DavidF

New User
David
A bunch of firewood caught my eye yesterday. It was at the convenience store (gas station) across from the Ace Hardware on 55 in Apex about a mile north of US1, in case anyone is nearby and wants to take a look. Anyway, a lot of the pieces were pretty squared off, about 4"x4" with no cracks on the ends and a lot of spalting. There were several bundles in similar condition. I was tempted to get one, figuring I could always just burn it, but I didn't. I wasn't sure if the spalting had gone too far and I am not exactly sure what the wood is. There were variances in color; I think it was more than one kind. I don't turn, so I am really not sure what I would do with it, but if it is hard enough, there are some nice vessel or small bowl blanks there.

Is that the Kangaroo on the corner of James and 55?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors