Jorgie Cabinetmaster clamp locked up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
HELP!!!

when straightening up after yesterdays project, I stored my clamps in a standing position, like Alan has in his clampstand. (IIRC, he has jorgies, too?)

unfortunately, one of the clamp heads decided to lock into full closed position. Any ideas as to how to fix this? I have fussed with it enough to see that I have about 1/32" play between the clamp-pads, and I can turn the adjuster about 2 or 3 turns, but I cannot open it up!

anyone run into this before? will I need a hydraulic press to drive out the pins from the fixed head?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I don't know how Jorgies work but if they're like Besseys, this might help. This happened to me once and the clamp locked shut. I backed the handscrew out al the way, then back in a 1/8 turn. Hold the clamp upright, pulling the screw handle away from the clamp bar, not touching the fixed head only the slider, tap the end of the clamp on the floor. That popped it loose for me.
Dave:)

MLB3164

New User
Marty
DaveO is wrong Peter, the clamps are now useless and you are better off throwing them away. If you send them to me I will be glad to dispose of them properly...........Dave is right, my Besseys will do the same thing on occasion. These types of clamps unlock by pulling the handle away from the bar. A few tries and you will be good as new.....

Marty

J

jeff...

I always just hit em with a mallet, but that's my answer to a lot of problems :lol:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
DaveO is wrong Peter, the clamps are now useless and you are better off throwing them away. If you send them to me I will be glad to dispose of them properly
Marty

:lol: :lol: :lol:

no luck using Dave's method! just when I have a rather large glue-up, and not nearly enough clamps:crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2: hmmmm, now would be a good time to break into MG's shop, where did I leave his wife's phone#????

MLB3164

New User
Marty
Peter I replicated the same scenario with a Bessey and was able to break it loose. Try tightening it down all the way tight and as you unscrew to loosen it pull the handle up away from the bar and back to loosen it. This worked for me but this was on a Bessey. Hope this works.

Marty

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Pete,
My wife will be there in about an hour and your are "MORE" than welcome to get anything you wish bro. She went down to heartsville for my youngest sons 6th birthday. If you need it bro its there. God bless.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
not able to finish the project today, rain came, and I am doing much of the really dusty work outside. So far, the mistakes I am making are all on the same piece. have to pick up another sheet of MDF to replace the bad piece, unless I can find some 3/4" MDF shelving unfinished.... CFO's eyes popped at the Lowe's bill the other day 8-O

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
pete,
There is a couple full sheets of mdf and birch ply in my shop. Your more than welcome to go get it friend. I just wish you would listen to me and use my stuff if you need it,,lol. Seriously friend just give the wife a call and go take what you need. I have told her a couple times you may call. Be blessed friend.

T

toolferone

I am positive you want to take a rubber mallet and hit the handle (hard) away from the bar. This should break it loose for you. I just called the Adjustable Clamp Company and confirmed this. She also said they have insert piece they can send you so it won't get stuck any more. There number is 312-666-0640. Call them and tell them how many clamps you have and they will take care of you. They have GREAT customer service.

Last edited by a moderator:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
The mallet comes out tomorrow! after I am sure the family is awake. don't want them to wake up to the crazy noises I am sure to make in the shop.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
pete,
There is a couple full sheets of mdf and birch ply in my shop. Your more than welcome to go get it friend. I just wish you would listen to me and use my stuff if you need it,,lol. Seriously friend just give the wife a call and go take what you need. I have told her a couple times you may call. Be blessed friend.

just keep trying to figure out when a good time would be. I feel like so often I would be intruding on her schedule... I don't the most normal of hours. maybe Friday, if I can escape early enough???

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
smacking the handle with the mallet did it!!! no more frozen Jorgie. Thanks to all who offered advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS