Jointer tables need resurfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfield60

jeff
User
Does anyone know of a machine shop that has experience regrinding large jointer infeed and outfeed tables in the Monroe area?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
How big are the tables?

Surface grinding machines I have seen in job shops are usually around 12 x 36 much bigger and you are looking for a big machine shop.

Are they really bad warped or just need adjusting and cleaning?

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Keep in mind that plus or minus a few mils (thousandths) is not an issue for woodworking equipment so they are rarely ground perfectly flat over their width and length unless it was a very high end jointer, so it is fairly rare to need tables to be reground unless something major has happened (severe twist, such as from a fire) or there is extreme wear. If the issue is that the tables are not parrallel to one another then that is typically a basic setup issue resolved by shimming the two tables parallel and a part of jointer ownership like setting the knives.

I mention the above solely to ask if you are certain that regrinding is actually required? If it is just a setup issue then members here can squally help you get it resolved and possibly save you the cost of regrinding the tables. Otherwise I wish you the best in your search for a machine shop!

cfield60

jeff
User
infeed is 56" x 16 1/2" and out feed is 40" x 16 1/2". Out feed is ok but infeed has a .023" dip in the middle.

cfield60

jeff
User
It's a parallelogram machine. I'm installing a Byrd head and I may try it first to see how it performs and if the results are not nice and straight then maybe I'll look into grinding them. I just don't know of a shop with a big Blanchard or surface grinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS