Jointer Project: One-Time need for rough-cut Mahogany (Greensboro NC)

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
I haven't posted in years (other hobbies/work/teenager take up time, and the last time I made the Greensboro Lunch Bunch Barbara Foreman was still my neighbor), but to make a long story short I need to plane some 6" to 13" wide African Mahogany and Sapele I've had stored for more than a decade.
I've decided to rebuild a small carpeted staircase (~40" wide) and then figured while I'm at it, I'd plane the bigger boards for a 60" wide staircase in our 'forever house' after I retire.
I can't justify/afford buying the jointer-planer this would require and would like to rent time on a local machine if possible.
Rough lumber is 5/4" to 6/4" thick, 90 to 94" long:
8 African Mahogany boards 11-1/2" to 13-1/2" wide (hence the large jointer/planer)
8 African Mahogany boards 9-1/2 to 10-1/2" wide (might try these on my little planer)
2-3 non-flat boards ~5-7" wide (hence the jointer)
I'll also be using my lunchbox planer to smooth about 12 African Mahogany boards and about 12 Sapele boards 5-7" wide

Goal is to smooth down to 1" thick treads (and I expect a few slightly bent boards will wind up as 1/2" thick risers)
No hurry, just on my list of projects, hopefully for a single day this Spring/Summer so no hurry, just exploring options (unfortunately The Forge in Greensboro is closed for now…)

Thanks in advance - as with most of my projects, redoing a staircase seems relatively easy but will take longer than I expected =)

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Bring them down to Lexington, all I ask is you help me clean out the dust collector. its a fools errand to try to flatten a really wide board in my opinion, rip the wide ones down and then joint.

Last edited:

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Good to hear you're still around Larry. I wish I could help. But little 6" jointer wouldn't be much use.

SteveFF

New User
Steve
Another option is Greensboro has a really great craftsperson club called "The Forge". Right in the middle of downtown. It has a large metal working and a large wood working area as well as 3D printer, sewing machines, laser engraver. I think membership is $50 per month. You could always join for a month and get all that work done.

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the advice - looks like the Forge since it's closest (Chris Goris - appreciate the generous offer to use your equipment in Lexington but my little battery EV car wouldn't get there and back without charging) so looks like the Forge will be the best

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS