Jointer height opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Should I saw 4" off of my jointer's legs?

In doing some shop reorganization, I'm debating doing just this in order to get my open-base 6" jointer (an old Delta 37-190) below my tablesaw surface. Then it can sit right next to it and not be in the way of cuts on wide material. This would put the jointer bed at around 29" off the floor (and the top of the fence, which is really what is in the way, about 34"). Too low?

Anybody else with a "low" jointer bed height or who has lowered theirs by permanently modifying good Delta iron?

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
I walked out to the shop and gave it a look to see what the jointer mod might do for you.

My jointer bed is a smidge under 34 inches high with a 5 inch fence. The TS is a smidge under 35 inches high.

I would not want the jointer bed at 29 inches. That is way too low for me.

Chuck

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I had this problem, but instead of cutting the cabinet of my jointer down, I decided to put the Unisaw up on wheels and bought a steel frame with wheels for it.

HTC was having a clearance sale on many of their odd size models at that time. I couldn't find one of the sale models to fit my saw, but their sale price of $30 delivered made it such a good deal that I ordered one knowing that was too small, but was the right basic design, with plans to make it fit my saw, somehow, when it arrived. When it came, I cut the 1X2 steel frame of it in several places and welded in 1x2" extension pieces to increase the frame size and make it fit my Unisaw and it's 50" table extension. A little gray metalic rattle can paint from Lowe's and it looked like l had bought the correct, but significantly more expensive model from HTC. Very impressive for $30, a can of paint, and about 2 hours work (1x2 square pipe scraps were on hand).

However, after getting the Unisaw onto it, I discovered that the saw's table was still not quite high enough. I then made a plywood spacer to put in the frame under the saw and a smaller one under the saw table legs. These 3/4" thick inserts lifted the Unisaw just high enough for wood to clear the jointer fence by about 1/4" and solved the problem without the need to cut down my jointer's cabinet. A side benefit of the plywood spacer is that it prevents sawdust from falling out of the bottom of the saw cabinet onto the floor, making it easier to move the saw whenever I need to.

Charley

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I went through your issue way back when and my solution was to put the jointer on the other side of the saw. For me, changing the heights around would make it uncomfortable to use the tools.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Well, you all are confirming my concerns. Guess I need to look at another way of arranging.

Thanks for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS