Jointer Damage

Curt W

New User
Curt
Has anyone ever had this to happen before? It was a very small screw in what i thought was a new piece of wood. My concern is any dangerous situation that might rise from this damage.

Attachments

• DF0F164B-0407-4C56-8ED9-3E47BD71EF6C.jpeg
    DF0F164B-0407-4C56-8ED9-3E47BD71EF6C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 289
  • B351D0C4-3AB3-4782-926A-76A959C2B990.jpeg
    B351D0C4-3AB3-4782-926A-76A959C2B990.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 286
  • EDAD96E3-1B07-44FF-B586-3569D75E7CA9.jpeg
    EDAD96E3-1B07-44FF-B586-3569D75E7CA9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 285

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Curt, while I am not certain, I do not think that the nicked bed will result in a dangerous situation. Since you didn't mention any injury to yourself when the screw hit the blade, I think you have already escaped the primary danger. If it were me, I would continue to use the jointer.

Last edited:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Curt, while I am not certain, I do not think that the nicked bed will result in a dangerous situation. Since didn't mention any injury to yourself when the screw hit the blade, I think you have already escape the primary danger. If it were me, I would continue to use the jointer.

I agree w/ Donn. Surprised there is no damage to the blades.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
I think I can see the nick in the blade. Hate that happened but glad you're ok. I've been making every possible shop mistake myself this week. Maybe we're getting 2020 out of the system.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
That happened to a jointer my father had and I later inherited. One of the blades was not fastened securely. It slipped and knocked a chunk out of the table. He took the table to a local welder who patched the metal top and ground it back flat. Not sure how much it cost, but the jointer worked fine after that. I had it in use until a few years ago when I upgraded.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
If it were me, I would continue to use the jointer.
Agree. I've see a lot worse on jointers that were in daily use in the mills. It is on the infeed table anyway.
Maybe the knives can be sharpened but its hard to tell. There appears to be a small nick in the one blade I can see. If one of the bladed is cracked, then clearly the set is toast.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
You can repair the bed by welding it. If you are not up on welding, get a knowledgeable person familiar with welding to cast steel or cast iron. It is an easy fix, but the weld has to be absolutely fused, or it can come loose again.

gmakra

New User
George
You could weld it but cast iron requires preheat and post cooling. It also takes high nickle content rods then you have to machine the weld.

Inuder werds its a lot of work with out alot of benifit.

If it were me i would file the sharp edges and call it done and if you are ever questioned about it tell en its a character flaw or beauty mark.

awldune

Sam
User
If it were me i would file the sharp edges and call it done and if you are ever questioned about it tell en its a character flaw or beauty mark.
This. Or more specifically, I would be sure to remove any burrs that stick up above the plane of the outfeed table.

Inarticulate

New User
Matt
Assuming you haven't already, it may not be a terrible idea to try to find that fragment that came off the bed to make sure that it didn't get into anywhere where it could do further damage.

-Matt

Curt W

New User
Curt
Assuming you haven't already, it may not be a terrible idea to try to find that fragment that came off the bed to make sure that it didn't get into anywhere where it could do further damage.

-Matt
Great idea. I searched the machine and shavings and found the screw but nothing else.

Curt W

New User
Curt
Just an FYI. This was a fairly new Grizzly jointer. I contacted them today and I must say I was very impressed with their customer service. Obviously something like this doesn't fall unde their warranty, but the gentleman spend a significant amount of time asking questions and talking about the issue. He promised to meet with their engineering team today and call me as soon as possible about any safety issues they might have. Kinda seems abnormal in this day and time.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I agree with cleaning the edges to make sure there are no burr's and use it as normal. Glad you found the screw and hopefully the missing piece came out with the wood shavings.

Red

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
When you buy a new machine that is factory set, it usually is set up correctly; not so my first planer, a Grizzly 13", it came with the blades installed backward, which worked for me, being a backward sort and all. Learned you just gotta check the whole machine thoroughly that everything is tight and right.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Yeah, I would fill it with JB weld and move on.

You could also get it brazed or welded, but now you're into some involved work.

-Mark

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS