Jointer Cutterhead Advice

ssmith

New User
Scott
The cutterhead bearings are going south on my 20 YO Ridgid JPO6000 jointer and I'm looking to replace them by replacing the entire head assembly.

A quick search shows Shelix is out there for $346, Lux Cut is $429, both including the bearings. The vendor claims the cut quality is pretty much the same on both but says the Lux head is made of better material. See info here Cutterhead Comparison.

Any thoughts on which is the better option? Are there other manufacturers I should look at?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You are going to spend more than the original cost of your jointer to replace the head, when all it needs is a couple of bearing which cost less than twenty bucks total. Either way, you have to remove and install the head.

Millmarks

Doug
Corporate Member
I've had both and can't really tell the difference. The Lux is finished better, but otherwise the same performance. They are worth the $$ though. Negligible tearout if any and a very smooth surface as a result.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Bruce makes a good point. While a helical cutter is very nice and can provide convenience down the road it can take quite a few regular blade replacements to make up for that cost and convenience.

If you are dead set on the new cutter though I would go Lux Cut. It's going to have to last you years for the cost payback ROI and you will have a better chance of that with that one.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I fully agree with Bruce that a bearing replacement is a better solution. In particular, this is a 6 inch jointer and given its age and size, I would recommend you save your money and upgrade to an 8" jointer with a helical cutterhead down the road. You will do better work on larger stock since 8" units usually have longer tables and 25% wider capacity. I've had both and there is a world of difference between them.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I have the LUX. One of the best upgrades I ever did. Seems every other board I ran nicked either a jointer or a planer blade. My time is my own, but I would rather fiddle with wood than the hours to sharpen and set up knives. Once set up, it is a forget it.

Do pay attention to the two different diameters. They made small changes as the manufacture changed over the years. Lux and Byrd used to be about the same price, but that was a couple years ago.

The other improvement was a quality Gates AX series belt. I did have to add a plywood spacer under the motor, but it smoothed the running.

If you have the money and space for an 8 inch, fine. I don't. Wish I did, but such is life. There is nothing besides the belt and bearings that wears out on a jointer, so age is not a problem. The basic Emerson design of our Ridgid's is still what is being made today. Old is irrelevant. If your tables are flat, then it is as good as it gets. I guess the motor bearings might also be getting worn. Might give them a feel before spending money. A Griz 8 inch with helical head is well over $2500 ( PM about $3500) and they can't ship to a residence.

I put the Byrd in my used DW735. And yea, the head cost as much as the tool, but again, I just roll it out and use it. No fussing. Sure I really wanted the 15 inch PM, but SS does not pay that much.

Oh, the Ridgid is $1000 today. Used more like $350. Pre COVID it was $750. So a cutter head is not more than the cost of the jointer unless you buy used.

ssmith

New User
Scott
Thanks everyone – taking all that in, I’ll likely go with the Lux head.

YES - I’d love to go to an 8” but it’s not in the cards right now. Even a comparable replacement is around $1000. To get what I’d really like would be north of $2500. Aside from the bearings the jointer is in good shape. I spent a lot of time fine tuning it recently and the motor bearings are good. While I appreciate the advice to look down the road, I can’t see writing this one off just yet.

For me, there’s more to the decision than just the bearings. The jointer is one of my go-to tools and I use it a lot to join and surface plane, mostly on hardwoods and often on exotics (which my better half has taken a liking to LoL). Knives just don’t last that long, and I really don’t like tearing up good lumber when they get dull.

I’ve heard here and elsewhere that helical heads cut more smoothly and minimize tear out – both would be welcome changes, particularly when surface planing.

And finally, tearing the jointer down is a bear so I’d rather only do it once. I really don’t want to change just the bearings and later regret it and have to repeat the job.

Millmarks

Doug
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone – taking all that in, I’ll likely go with the Lux head.

YES - I’d love to go to an 8” but it’s not in the cards right now. Even a comparable replacement is around $1000. To get what I’d really like would be north of $2500. Aside from the bearings the jointer is in good shape. I spent a lot of time fine tuning it recently and the motor bearings are good. While I appreciate the advice to look down the road, I can’t see writing this one off just yet.

For me, there’s more to the decision than just the bearings. The jointer is one of my go-to tools and I use it a lot to join and surface plane, mostly on hardwoods and often on exotics (which my better half has taken a liking to LoL). Knives just don’t last that long, and I really don’t like tearing up good lumber when they get dull.

I’ve heard here and elsewhere that helical heads cut more smoothly and minimize tear out – both would be welcome changes, particularly when surface planing.

And finally, tearing the jointer down is a bear so I’d rather only do it once. I really don’t want to change just the bearings and later regret it and have to repeat the job.
I think you'll be happy with the end result.

Echd

C
User
I posted it in the classifieds section but I replaced the straight knife head in my ridgid jp0610 with a carbide head. I have no regrets whatsoever and highly recommend it... but if anyone wants the old cutterhead they can have it for free. I just feel bad chucking it in the trash.

I just reused my bearings though. It really wasnt bad to change out at all, nowhere near the effort of a planer head change. Honestly less of an aggravation than resetting jointer knives! Oh how I hated that task.

Attachments

• 20220924_214757.jpg
    20220924_214757.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 65

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors