Jointer belt problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I have one of the grey Ridgid 6" jointers. The last couple of times I've used it, I've smelled a slight burning rubber smell. Also, the belt jumps off the pulleys. I bought two different 36" V belts today and they both keep coming off the pulleys. Any ideas as to what the problem may be? :help::help:

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
The simple answers are not enough tension and/or the pulleys not aligned perfectly. Alos, look at the pulleys to be sure they are not cracked or damaged otherwise though that is not all that likely, but olook anyway.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Is it possible the set screws on the pulleys have loosened to the point the pulleys are sliding or spinning? If spinning, you may have a loose key floating around somewhere.

Go

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The pulley on the head is usually a small diameter. A notched belt works better than a standard one. Goodyear sells their as Power Flex. I would try a notched belt first, assuming that the pulleys are in alignment.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I tried a notched belt today. That didn't work so I then tried a regular belt, again with no luck. The pulleys seem to be aligned but I will give it a closer inspection tomorrow.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Is the pitch the same on both old and new belt? Try spinning cutter head with out the belt attached, just to rule out the bearings. If the pulley is die cast material (zinc), replace it with a cast iron pulley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS