Jointer bed.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I was reading Mark Duginski's book on tool setup for the jointer, something popped into my head.

Anyone ever seen a jointer bed that was not a sold surface? Maybe some sort of open diamond pattern or a "grate". Something like what I see on some table saw wings.

In my "so called mind", I'd think it'd be easier to flatten and reduce the issues around warping/twisting.

Just curious, I have no planes to build my own jointer :)

Jim

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
You my friend are a Pioneer! Contact the closest machine manufacture and get a pattent. Just make sure I get like 1% for encouriging you.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I think I would be afraid of the workpiece catching. Especially on a jointer where there is a rough surface initially going over the bed at first. So far as jointer bed vs TS extensions, you are putting pressure down on the jointer bed where you are just using the TS wings for support with little downward pressure. Thus, any irregularity in the workpiece would be more likely to catch.

Just my 2¢

George

Toddler

New User
Todd
Hi Jim,

Given rising iron costs, maybe we'll see that soon. But I'm waiting for Grizzly to copy Steel City's idea and use granite.

-Todd

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ah, that would be pretty slick. Granite! Has Steel City started shipping that option? I know the reviews were very positive.

How long before we starting incoprorating our tools with the kitchen counter....... A nice tablesaw/meat slicer built into the kitchen island........ Drill press/blender.......

No joke, in the early days of the Shopsmith, they used to sell kitchen attachements. Mixers and such. I'll try to find some of the old adds, they wree almost funny.

But I digress, as usual.

Hadn't considered stock stuckage, that sounds very possible.

I'll go ahead and patent my idea! Then I can sue someone and be rich! The american dream......

I guess my overall quesiton is always "but why". In this case, why a large cast iron surface?. Its heavy, hard to flatten when out of true and beyond most of us non-pro's to work on.

But, I promise, I'm not planning to make one! If I make another tool, its gonna be something to hurl watermellons great distances with great accuracy.

Jim

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
One reason a solid bed is desirable is mass, to reduce vibration. You'd lose that with an open system. A cool solution would be to have hollow wings/ beds, which can you can fill with water once installed in the shop. It would reduce material costs and be lighter in shipping and installation.

Glennbear

Glenn
One reason a solid bed is desirable is mass, to reduce vibration. You'd lose that with an open system. A cool solution would be to have hollow wings/ beds, which can you can fill with water once installed in the shop. It would reduce material costs and be lighter in shipping and installation.

Or sand to eliminate rusting issues :wink_smil

Glennbear

Glenn
Ah, that would be pretty slick. Granite! Has Steel City started shipping that option? I know the reviews were very positive.

How long before we starting incoprorating our tools with the kitchen counter....... A nice tablesaw/meat slicer built into the kitchen island........ Drill press/blender.......

No joke, in the early days of the Shopsmith, they used to sell kitchen attachements. Mixers and such. I'll try to find some of the old adds, they wree almost funny.

But I digress, as usual.

Hadn't considered stock stuckage, that sounds very possible.

I'll go ahead and patent my idea! Then I can sue someone and be rich! The american dream......

I guess my overall quesiton is always "but why". In this case, why a large cast iron surface?. Its heavy, hard to flatten when out of true and beyond most of us non-pro's to work on.

But, I promise, I'm not planning to make one! If I make another tool, its gonna be something to hurl watermellons great distances with great accuracy.

Jim

I would suggest that you switch the species of projectile and hurry to get started on design/construction :gar-Bi :http://www.punkinchunkin.com/

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Or sand to eliminate rusting issues :wink_smil
Sand is not a bad idea! I thought about concrete, but that's permanent. But rusting shouldn't be a problem with water provided you fill the cavity completely and then seal it. Rusting requires oxygen.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Actually, while working on the homemade lathe, I did read a few fascinating articles on people making large lathe beds out of concrete.

They were able to get it flat and level, plus the mass was there. Pretty radical stuff.

Hard to sell a 2 ton slab-o-concrete tool at Home Depot I guess?

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS