Joining the dark side

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Well, after 50 or so years of hack-work and hopefully some decent woodwork, I have made the leap. Picked up the ubiquitous HF lathe from a very nice gentleman who just bought a big Laguna. Ordered some hopefully OK beginner gouges and will jump in off the deep end. I know, I should take a basic class at least when COVID allows.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Mike,
Ironic, a stones throw from where I picked up my lathe. I will keep that in mind as that would probably serve me well. Let me chew on it a bit.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
And good instruction is invaluable for a lathe - sharpening, tool introduction, wood holding.... and what NOT to do!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I would recommend taking up Mike on some instruction for a day.
I had a guy do that for me years ago and that one day help point me the right direction and saved me alot of heart ache.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Reminds me of a story my father told me about grad school. He had a prof. who had started and failed businesses a dozen times. No one can tell you how to make a successful business, but he could tell you a lot of things that won't.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Slow-speed grinder with those cheap tools, preferably with CBN wheels, and a sharpening jib system like Wolverine's. WEN sells ones a great price point and Rikon usually puts theirs on sale for around $100. Regular grinders overheat the turning chisels, especially the cheap tools. I started with the red handled "professional" lathe tool set from Harbor Freight and it worked great to learn with. No real loss when sharpening failures happen and I have to reshape and lose more steel. Definitely take up the offers to learn to turn from more experienced turners, it is a completely different beast than traditional woodworking.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The manufacturer warns that CBN is for tool steel only. If those cheap turning tools are carbon steel best use the old stones on your grinder. I have two grinders, one with CBN for tool steel and another one for carbon steel.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
My cheap set are supposed to be HSS. Anyway, I run white wheels on my low speed Rikon. They came today. Seem a little short. Maybe an early project is to make longer handles. A few more days for the Wolverine to get here.

Dr Bob, had it been on Craig's list...

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
NCState has night classes that are worth considering. I took them years ago as days were tied up consulting. Regardless, take classes from Mike or wherever you can.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
90's I can do. 45's I am still perfecting.
E4699603-799D-450A-BFAF-765BEEF1F793_1_201_a.jpeg

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Well, it took just a few minutes of Mike's great help to show me all my problems were DSO. ( Dumb Sh** Operator)

I can now move on to making a big mess and learning the skill. I do still think 120 is too course a grinding wheel so will pick up the Klingspor 150 next time I head to town. Looking at my wood-pile with a different eye now.

So I will get busy and then look for further instruction after I get a more "programed" feel.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS