Joinery using hand tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
During the last shop crawl, there were some discussions about woodworking using only manual hand tools. A couple of shops had scrub planes and bow saws. I heard some questions regarding flatting boards with hand planes and some about bow saws. I used these when I first started on this slippery slope of woodworking. The best source of instructions for both manual and power tools for joining work is: "Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking -Book 1 Joinery". Taunton Press has combined Frid's three books into one volume and its' worth owning. I have the individual books and have used them all and even made the three legged stool he had in book 3. Don't know if this is any help to someone looking for the challenge of hand joinery, but thought I'd throw this out for information.
Warren

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I agree that Tage Frid's book is worth owning. I got the hard copy set as a gift and it came with a DVD. It's an excellent sorce of knowledge. :icon_thum

02blues

New User
john
I have heard good things about that text though I have not bought it yet. Thanks for the reminder.
Here are a few others that you might enjoy as well.

1. Working Wood with Wedge and Edge by Roy Underhill.
2. The Complete Woodworker by Bernard Jones
3. A Museum of Early American Tools by Eric Sloan.

In addition nothing teaches like a hands on failure. :icon_scraTry and try again. I learned many skills making my Roubo bench by hand. Lesson: Did not know what a scrub plane was until after I ripped and planed the entire bench. Lesson learned.:mrgreen:
DSC_2226.JPG

View image in gallery

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
I agree that the Tage Frid set is wonderful. It is a very complete set that covers joinery, techniques, jigs, and so much more.

A different, but revolutionary woodworking book for me was Krenov's "A Cabinetmaker's Notebook". It is more philosophical, but it has little insights that I have never read elsewhere.

Amy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS