Joinery for a really small table

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
I am helping a friend who is new to woodworking build a very small table. It is only 12" long and 10" high and made of spalted water oak. The legs will be angled as shown in the pic. Not shown is the cross member which will span under the top and connect to the legs. I usually use knockdown bolts going through the legs to connect to the crosspiece but the angle presents a problem with this approach. Does anyone has a suggestion for joinery to use in this unusual design?
Bob

Attachments

• IMG_1468.JPG
    IMG_1468.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 246

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Bob
I would probably cut two slots at the top of the leg members for long pieces to fit in the slots. The pieces could then be bored to allow screws to go in the bottom of the table top.

Lots of design options to address the racking but that will go in the aesthetic part.

Dan

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
If the cross member is sturdy enough to support the legs, just screw through it. four figure eights screwed on the legs will also do it.
Is this for a big doll house?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
How will this table be used? It's probably not going to get a lot of abuse and side-to-side racking so the joinery is easier.

How thick are the top and legs in your pic? I drew these at 1" thick.

BobKellogg2.jpg

Pocket hole screws can fasten the leg assembly to the top.

BobKellogg.jpg

I'm just tossing this out for discussion; there are lots of ways to do it and the joinery could be more complex but perhaps not necessary in this case.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
Here is another small table I am copying. The arced center piece is 90 degrees to the legs and on the new table I am making it will be ~60 deg. complicating the joinery. New table is 3/4" thick and it will hold light weight stuff like the one shown. The angled legs on the new one are just to make it somewhat unique and more interesting.

Attachments

• P1020265.jpg
    P1020265.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 134

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Made one similar using live edge walnut. I cut mortises in the bottom of the top and put tenons on the legs. Glued in and havent had any issues thus far. Been done for several years . If I can find a pic I will post it.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Made one similar using live edge walnut. I cut mortises in the bottom of the top and put tenons on the legs. Glued in and havent had any issues thus far. Been done for several years . If I can find a pic I will post it.

IMAG0157.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS