Johnson Paste Wax Alternative

wndopdlr

wally
Senior User
I switched to Trewax a few years ago when my JPW ran out and I couldn't find it locally. I think the Trewax is both slicker and harder than the JPW.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
My shop is finally built and starting to get everything set up. I came from a dry desert climate and always used Johnson paste wax to keep slick and rust free. Since no longer available, what are people using as an alternative? Thinking about trying Briwax original (no color).

John
Bowling Alley Wax has been around for a long time. It might be a viable replacement for Johnson's Past Wax.

While cleaning out a few things in the crawlspace, I found an unopened can of Johnson's paste wax that has to be at least 20 years, possibly much older. When I opened it, it was in perfect condition. That can should last me for a very long time. However, I am going to see how bowling alley wax works.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Like a couple of others on this thread I've been using Trewax. This is recommended by Larry Williams (Old Street Tool, Inc) as the finish of choice for moulding planes. It contains carnauba wax, so dries hard and takes a nice, soft shine after buffing. I bought a can last year at Ace Hardware. The label says the wax has been around since 1935.

IMG_3662.JPG

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Never used Johnson's Paste wax. Always used a shop made remedy, parraffin shaved thin, dissolved in odorless mineral spirits. Using a box grater, shave some parraffin into a container containing odorless mineral spirits. Cover and let it sit over night, then put into a spray bottle. Clean surfaces of existing rust and dirt, spray with solution. Using either a rag or paper towel, wipe surface to spread solution. Let MS evaporate, then buff surface with a clean rag or towel. SLICK!
I did up a batch similar to this some years ago using a crude double boiler configuration to make sealing paste for log ends. It would probably work just as well for polishing the shop tool surfaces.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS