John Leake, furniture maker

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
About 30 years ago I decided I wanted to learn how to make furniture. I heard about a club in York, SC and joined. The club was founded by John and most of the meetings were in his shop. One of John's favorite things to say was " quite trying to make it perfect, it is not going to end up in the White House". I bet he did not know one of his pieces was going to end up holding a gift for the Queen of England. John received a call from the White House and was asked to make something appropriate to hold a piece made by Tiffany. The piece would hold the gift presented by the President to the Queen on his State visit. I do not know if John has a piece in the White House but he does have one in Windsor Castle holding the Queens gift. Look John up on Google and you will find the article and his web site. If you ever have the chance to visit his shop and show room do not pass it up. I would stop by and usually found him in his hammock out back. He is always willing to talk woodworking and answer questions.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
he is an amazing guy and a great teacher. i heard him talk about marquetry many years ago and remember him saying it's to be admired from afar, if someone gets that close tell them they are nosy

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Both John & his son are a treasure trove of knowledge. His son was the guy that gave me the shop's finishing formula that I quoted in a post about finishing.

Pop

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS