John C Campbell Folk School

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Headed out to John C Campbell Folk School tomorrow for a week long class. The class is Hewing and carving for spoons and bowls taught by Rodney Hopkins. I've been looking forward to this class for a while now. I've never been to the folk school. Has anyone on here been that would like to give me any advice about the school? Things to take, events to not miss or places I need to see while there. I just want to get the most out of my time there. Thanks all.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My daughter is there now, she goes at least once a year and sometimes two or three times. She has spent two summers in their work for study programs. Now she usually camps and cooks on a small camp stove to save money. The campus is not all that large but still plenty to see. Walk around and take in as much as you can while you are there. Most folks I know who go end up going back, some go many times.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Enjoy the adventure. Where are you staying on the campus? You can get a campus map when you get there. It looks interesting.

I can't find an instructor named Rodney Hopkins on the folk school website and can't find your class in October either..

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sam, enjoy yourself, that's a trip that I've been wanting to take for a while now. It all sounds like fun up there.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Enjoy the adventure. Where are you staying on the campus? You can get a campus map when you get there. It looks interesting.

I can't find an instructor named Rodney Hopkins on the folk school website and can't find your class in October either..
I was having trouble finding my class too but found it in the catalog. Here's the link to it. JCCFS_Summer Ecatalog
Mike Mathews and I are roommates and we are staying on campus at the Mill House.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks Sam, I found it. Are you taking any of your carving tools to use?

The Mill house looks interesting too. Take pictures when you get a chance. It's also going to be hot there too during the coming week and doesn't sound like much of a cooler Mountain escape from our heat in the Piedmont.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Thanks Sam, I found it. Are you taking any of your carving tools to use?

The Mill house looks interesting too. Take pictures when you get a chance. It's also going to be hot there too during the coming week and doesn't sound like much of a cooler Mountain escape from our heat in the Piedmont.
Yea, I noticed the hot weather we’re in store for. Hopefully we will be indoors mostly.
Taking all my tools with me. Just Mora tools mostly. Have a few bent gouges too I’ll take. Taking my new Granfors Bruks carving axe also.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS