JimD's SawStop

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I am preparing to retire and decided to buy a SawStop PCS, 1.75hp over a month ago. I wanted it to be at the 38+ inch height of the Ryobi BT3100 on it's custom base so that I could continue to use the same outfeed/work table and so that wood could extend over adjacent machines. Plus I do not like a 34 inch tall saw. So I could use the SawStop bases. I initially planned to put workbench wheels on a 2x4 and plywood base but the ones I was looking at would not support the SawStops weight. So I switched to a PortaMate 3500 rated to support 650 lbs. It works but I would not want anything lighter. I built a base, put the saw on it, did not like the way the extension table was supported nor did I like the amount of weight on the left side front wheel of the portable base. So I extended it in both directions. The two legs that came with the SawStop for the extension table are removed and the table rests on a storage chest that rests on the same mobile base. I am still adjusting to the new tool but i generally like it. It is certainly the nicest table saw I have owned. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• sawstop behind convertible.JPG
    sawstop behind convertible.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 189
  • Sawstop with Drawers.JPG
    Sawstop with Drawers.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 186
  • Blade drawer.JPG
    Blade drawer.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Osborne gauge on side of SawStop.JPG
    Osborne gauge on side of SawStop.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 191

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Jim, I too have a SawStop (about nine years); it is a great saw, I have been extremely happy with its performance. Congratulations and Merry Christmas!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
When I retired my wife, love her to death, allowed me to buy a SawStop. Great saw. Merry Christmas.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I too have a SawStop (the 3HP model) and am extremely happy with it.

The one time I had an accidental misfire of the brake was when using that Osborne Miter Gauge. I made a cut at a 70 degree angle and then changed to a 110 degree angle without re-checking the clearance of the metal edge of the gauge to the blade. Long story short, it brushed the side of the blade and tripped the brake. I say accidental misfire as this was accidental on my part and a good learning experience, the Saw worked exactly as it should have. The saw can't tell the difference between that metal piece and my finger.

Just a cautionary tale to drive home the lesson that you should check the clearance of the miter gauge and blade every time something changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS