JimD's DC sucks!

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I've been talking about a dust collector for months and finally took a couple weekends to get it set up. The blower is from a 2hp HF. It has the smaller Oneida super dust deputy which has a 6 inch connection for the blower and a 5 inch for the piping. I changed the HF blower to a 6 inch inlet and heated and stretched the cyclone to get them to fit. Piping fitting got the same treatment. Piping is 5 inch snap lock from Home Depot. It seemed a little sturdier than the stuff at Lowe's. I have about a foot of flex right at my SawStop, the only tool hooked up right now. The bin is 18 inches square and nearly 4 feet tall so it is over 60 gallon capacity. It has a plexiglass port at the top so I can see the level. It exhausts outside, no filter. When I finally finished the connection to the saw I turned the blower on and the airflow was tiny. I checked the flex in the SawStop and it was completely plugged. Once I got that sorted it pulled very well.

Attachments

• IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 282

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
This is an older thread but....
Was searching around and came across this.

I have a HF blower, but I upgraded the impeller to the Rikon. Hoping this is a little better with regards to performance. Not sure if you did this mod, but if you have, please let me know.

I can't exhaust outside, so I will have to put a filter in place. Looking at a Wynn.

I too have a SawStop PCS, and was worried the HF wouldn't "suck", but from your post, it looks promising.

I'm a 1 man shop, but really want an Oneida 3 HP V3000, but right now I can't justify the price.
Hoping this setup will work for me. Not going to wall mount, so I'll plan on making a rolling cart, of sorts, which isn't ideal, but it's the "best" for now.

Glad to hear, from another user, that the HF is pretty decent at sucking.

Rory

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Rory,

I have not upgraded my impeller. I had a Wynn cartridge on a Delta 1hp DC I used to have and it worked fine. There is a website called "gray house studio.com" that has an interesting article on upgrading the HF. They used a different filter and I think I looked it up one time and it was cheaper than a Wynn. If you can't exhaust outside I think a cartridge filter is the next best option.

The inside of my PCS does not remain completely free of dust but it never builds up enough to be an issue - or even get close to that - as long as the hoses stay connected.

Jim

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Jim....

I came across that website before and it did look interesting. They used a Donaldson, but I am not sure how that stacks up against the Wynn. Regardless, I will have to do a cartridge, even though I'd love to vent outside.

Good to hear about the ability of the DC. I was unsure if it was up to par. I didn't want to spend $$ on the Oneida Cyclone as well as a filter, a few hours labor building the stand for it all, just to be disappointed with DC and ultimately pay $$$$$ for the V3000.

Thanks again for the info.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS