Jig to Cut Mortises for Loose Tenons

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
Does anyone have a plan for making a simple jig to cut mortises for loose tenons in the end-grain of a rail using a plunge router with edge guide? I have a couple of ideas, but I am soliciting better ideas. There is so much experience out there, I know that someone has the ideal solution.

Thanks for any input.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
You can buy this;
Mortise Jig

OR,

Make this:
wwk613_2ca_d.jpg

WOODWORKING : Woodworking Shop : Jigs and Fixtures for the Table Router and Plunge Router : DIY Network

DavidF

New User
David
Does anyone have a plan for making a simple jig to cut mortises for loose tenons in the end-grain of a rail using a plunge router with edge guide? I have a couple of ideas, but I am soliciting better ideas. There is so much experience out there, I know that someone has the ideal solution.

Thanks for any input.

Hi Rick, my solution was the simplest I could think of. I fixed two nicely planed up 2 x 4's to the top of my B&D workmate with the 2" sides facing inwards. I used screws and big washers to do that. The only important thing is that the inside and outside faces of the "front" moving piece are parallel and that the thicknesses of the two are the same. I actually made the rear fixed one slightly thinner in the end to compensate for the change in height as the jaws are tightened. That way all the control of the cut is done off just the front jaw piece. Set the piece of wood ito be mortised in the jaws, set perpendicular to the top of the jaws with a square and flush with the top or very slightly below and clamp the jaws tight. Use the front edge of the jaw to reference the router guide. I used clamp on blocks to limit the length of the mortise as well. Same setup can be used for the matching mortise in the stiles and by keeping the true faces of the frame against the same jaw the joint will line up perfectly. You are limited to the height of the workmate for rail length, but I didnt ever find that a particular problem. You could always raise it up on something to gain a few inches. Virtually no work or cash outlay and works like a champ.

rick7938

New User
Rick
Thanks, David. I was thinking of attaching something to my Workmate, but I had not thought of attaching the jig to the jaws of the table. That is the simplest and best solution I could ask for. I will try it out and let you know how it works. Thanks again

woodnick

New User
Nick
Sorry it took so long to reply but I was looking for the article for building this jig. It is in Wworkbench Magazine volume 61 #2 issue #288. It is one sweet jig. I use it for all my mortise work.

Attachments

• mortiser 002.JPG
    mortiser 002.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 462
M

McRabbet

I built a jig similar to the one that Woodnick posted from Issue 147 of Woodsmith. Click on this pic to see my finished version.
More pictures in my Gallery under the Jigs and Fixtures Category. Rob

mystry_tour

New User
Update your profile with your name
Or if your really machine savey you can have one of these......
The vidio is great and the guy is very nice to talk to.
tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS