Jig for drilling wedge mortises on a small drill press

Scott H

Scott
User
I need to get a bigger drill press, but in the mean time I also want to drill some wedge mortises for hand planes using what I have. There isn't enough space between the chuck and the table to accomplish this as-is.

This is a jig that will bolt onto the "foot" of the drill press and lets you set an angle from 90* to 45*. Less than $10 in MDF, SYP and 2x2. The best thing about it is that the actual drill press table can just be swung out of the way when using it, so I don't have to re-square the table afterward.

I still need to wait for the glue to cure, put some reinforcing screws in the corner brackets, and get some fender washers. But I think it is going to work.

I am thinking I will probably make some setup jigs that let me quickly set it up for common angles/plane blank heights, too. The downside with this design is that height adjustment and angle adjustment are linked, so it's a little tedious to get the work at the right angle AND height. These smaller diameter bits haven't got a lot of length so every eighth of an inch counts if you want to actually make it through to the other side.

Attachments

• IMG_1178.jpeg
    IMG_1178.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 135
Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Interesting. I was thinking of moving to a benchtop to recover the space below.

Had you thought just using a machinist vice on the base?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Look around and you should be able to find some bits longer than the traditional jobber lengths. HTH. Cool jig.

Scott H

Scott
User
Interesting. I was thinking of moving to a benchtop to recover the space below.

Had you thought just using a machinist vice on the base?

No, that hadn't occurred to me. I don't have one myself but there is probably a size of vise that would work. There is definitely enough vertical space, I think the trick is being able to mount it on the foot or beside it and still get the work in line with the travel of the bit. It sounds like it could be an extended exercise in vise shopping.

This is a 10" benchtop so there are probably some benchtops that are not as constrained as this one.

Scott H

Scott
User
First result! Went off target by maybe 1/32" laterally but still just kissing the layout line. I marred the bed slightly drilling the breast angle because I couldn't see it coming through in the shadow. I used a 3/16" bit for a 1/4" mortise which doesn't leave a ton of material on either side. I used a 3/16 mortise chisel to chisel from breast to bed and then started prying it out once it was harder to chisel. I need to make a wedge and float the mortise now.

To keep the brad point bit from wandering immediately I chiseled flats where the bit starts. I think I learned this from Stavros Gakos on YouTube.

Attachments

• IMG_1180.jpeg
    IMG_1180.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1181.jpeg
    IMG_1181.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1183.jpeg
    IMG_1183.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1184.jpeg
    IMG_1184.jpeg