Jewelry boxes for donations

Status
Not open for further replies.

bash

New User
bash
I was able to spend enough time in the shop the past few days (between wiping sweat and drinking water) to get three jewelry boxes ready for final sanding and finishing, plus another three started. The ones getting close are QS Sycamore, American Chestnut, and Cherry. The Chestnut is boards glued up from an 1870's corn crib. The other three started (not shown) are Walnut, Maple, and Cedar. I still need to order the knobs for all six boxes.

Plan for all of these is to be donated to a charity auction where I have provided a similar box each year for the past six or seven years. I am suggesting they sell one per year with buyer's choice, and then only letting additional ones go if others want to match original winner's price. Don't want to flood the market and end up seeing them go for a minimal donation.

20180808_191151.jpg

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Great looking boxes bash, and a fine way to give back! Beware of things that sometimes don';t go as one would wish; many years back when I had a busy, lucrative sharpening service, I donated my services for auction to help our local Future Farmers Of America chapter. These services were in the form of sharpening services for carbide saws, hand saws, chain saws, lawn mower blades, and several new saw chains, all in the form of gift certificates. They equaled several hundred dollars in services and merchandise. The auctioneer took all the certificates, and not detailing what they contained, simply sold the entire lot for $3.00. To say the least, I was angry and disappointed. Another friend of mine, who is nationally known for his scroll saw, turning, and other woodworking videos, offered a number of his turnings for another charity sale. The auctioneer simply put all the items in one box, and while holding up one piece, sold the whole box for around $15 and failed to mention who it was that turned them. Just a heads up when it comes to offering up valuable work to be handled by uneducated sellers.

bash

New User
bash
Thanks for the comments. I understand what you say wrt auctions. I made a nice box for a church several years ago after requests from a few people, and was guaranteed they would make it raise good money. I found out later they sold it for $35 - less than the cost of the pulls alone. I am not shy telling them each year since why I will not give them another box when they make their request.

However, with this auction (also for FFA - the WV FFA foundation) I have had the opposite result. The lowest price paid for one of my boxes there has been $450, and the rest have gone for between $650 and $1100 (way, way beyond their value). A good part of the reason is what my father has meant to the organization over the years, and except for two or three quilts that are donated each year, they are the nicest items there. There are some university professors who get a kick of beating each other out for my box at the auction each year.

But you have given me pause on donating six at one time. Things can change with time. I can stack the boxes in a closet and donate one each year.

I will post pictures of these three boxes next week after applying finish, flocking drawers, and adding knobs (if I get off my tail and get those ordered).

bash

New User
bash
And btw Bruce, even though Mike has gotten me to the adequate stage of sharpening, and I continue to improve with practice, I will gladly pay you at least double your auction price from above if you will sharpen some knives for me. I'll gladly drive them over and come pick them up. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS