Jewelry box

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Well, if it's May, I must be making another jewelry box for another niece's HS graduation. :^)

Finished this one for my youngest niece this evening. Primary wood is cherry with bubinga and lacewood for the lid, and bubinga and brass accents. There's a lift-out tray for two levels of storage. The last picture is for a sense of scale.
P1160561.JPG P1160556.JPG P1160558.JPG P1160557.JPG P1160567_detail.jpg P1160564.JPG

This was an especially nail-biting experience, as the key holding my TS drive pulley came loose in the middle of cutting the joinery of the initial box, causing a moment of sheer panic followed by a relatively easy fix. However, something about that process caused a mis-alignment in the box joint I was cutting when it happened. Had to scrap that first attempt and designed a simpler (faster) box last Thursday evening, bought the lumber on Friday AM and have been working feverishly since to get this done.

This was niece #5 (all sisters) and each got a jewelry box. Links to some of the earlier threads follow, although #3 seems to be missing.

#1: https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/ind...m-chris-lumber-run-jewelry-display-box.48935/
#2: https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/index.php?threads/build-thread-mahogany-bandsaw-box.56138/
#4: https://ncwoodworker.net/forums/ind...h-secret-latch-and-hidden-compartments.64797/

Enjoy!

--dave

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Dave - Wonderful design, and execution. Hard to believe this was a 'simplified' case.
Inspirational really, I need to make more boxes!

Last edited:

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Thanks, Henry. It was a fun project, in spite of the time crunch. With each of these gift boxes I've tried both to tailor the box to the niece and to use some new (to me) techniques. When the setback happened, I fell back on techniques I already knew well, which is what I meant by "simplified". Sometimes panic is my best design inspiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Beautiful work Dave! I love how you've made each niece a distinct but equal piece, to be treasured for the rest of their lives.

I have a question regarding the 'V' shadow under the lid handle. Is that just a very thin inlay of a different species? I can't quite tell from the pics, but it doesn't appear the grain is continuous across the front. Either way, very nicely done.

dwminnich

New User
Dave
I have a question regarding the 'V' shadow under the lid handle. Is that just a very thin inlay of a different species? I can't quite tell from the pics, but it doesn't appear the grain is continuous across the front. Either way, very nicely done.

That's an inlay of lacewood. It's actually about 1/4" thick, since I needed to inlay it while the box was still square and I didn't want to worry too much about where the final curved profile would fall. The top of that keystone piece was visible so I added a thin veneer of cherry to the bottom of the notch around the handle to disguise it. The veneer piece was cut from the same cherry stock as the rest of the project so I had color match and I could pick a piece with good grain match.

--dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS