Jewelry box

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Mike's Jewelry Box is a real gem (pun intended) and beautifully executed. Very pleased to see David Fenton back on the site after an eight year absence and hope to see more posts from him. I remember the going away party at the Carolina Ale House outside of Pittsboro on April 2, 2010 -- sadly (for David's benefit), my wife Nancy passed away a few months later.

Here's a picture of David and one of those lathe tools! Looking on are David's wife and my wife Nancy.

100_5909.jpg

DavidF

New User
David
That's a great picture! So sorry to hear about Nancy, Carol and her always got on well when ever we met. I hope all is well with you? I t would certainly be great to meet up again. Funny I did see Diug in Las Vegas about 2 years after I left of all places!!!

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
David,

I am doing fine -- did have some health issues last year (an autoimmune disease called Myasthenia Gravis), but proper diagnosis and medication has it under control. My kids have been great and I'm still making sawdust. My best wishes to Carol.

Rob

DavidF

New User
David
Hi Rob glad things are working out for you now. I guess that big dog of yours is getting on a bit, not sure how old he was when we left. We lost Clara the last week we were in NC and we have lost another one since. We now have a pretty retriever called Remi.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Sadly, I had to put Badger down in 2014 as his old age caught up to him. Because I travel quite a bit, I decided not to add another dog to my life as kenneling is just unfair to them. I did buy a 25' travel trailer last year and am getting out with it as often as I can.

DavidF

New User
David
That's a shame Rob, but it happens a lot to us dog owners. Our house was way too quiet without Sophie. I think we lasted 4 weeks before finding Remi. Enjoy your travels!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sadly, I had to put Badger down in 2014 as his old age caught up to him. Because I travel quite a bit, I decided not to add another dog to my life as kenneling is just unfair to them. I did buy a 25' travel trailer last year and am getting out with it as often as I can.
Rob,
Do you do any woodworking when you are "on the road?"

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Hank,

I've considered taking my Hegner Scrollsaw with me when I am going on a trailer trip, but I've been busy doing "woodworking" on the road at my daughter's home at the far eastern end of NC by building the tables and layout for my grandson's trains. While hardly woodworking, it is a 8' by 12' layout built on three 4' by 8' table connected together. I laid 3 sheets of 1" foam as a train base and built a 6' long tunnel/mountain along one long side. I also carved a river through the 1" foam that passes under two bridges carrying the track. Then we used cotton quilt batten (painted with Universal Umbra latex paint) for earth (with scenery turf, to scale trees and clump foliage added to form landscaping) and roofing felt paper for roads and streets. I have spent the past several days at my daughter's working on it and have added some of the finishing touches (street lights, railroad crossings and traffic lights), but there is more to do. My 12 year old grandson is elated and has spend hours already running his two trains. It is Lionel O scale with 4 switches and lots of track.

I leave for home tomorrow and hope to get back before Thanksgiving to finish it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS