Jet vs Grizzly Jointer/Planers with spiral heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

simdave

New User
Dave
Trying to decide which to buy. The griz is about $650 cheaper than the Jet. The griz has a 5 hp motor while the Jet has a 3 hp motor. The griz head is 3 1/8 in diameter with 32 cutters. The Jet head is 2 3/4 in in diameter with 56 cutters. The Jet has a fractionally shorter conversion time in that you don’t have to remove the fence. The Jet has a 5 year warranty vs the Griz one year. Would appreciate any thoughts on the impact of the differences especially as they concern the cutter heads and motors.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Trying to decide which to buy. The griz is about $650 cheaper than the Jet. The griz has a 5 hp motor while the Jet has a 3 hp motor. The griz head is 3 1/8 in diameter with 32 cutters. The Jet head is 2 3/4 in in diameter with 56 cutters. The Jet has a fractionally shorter conversion time in that you don’t have to remove the fence. The Jet has a 5 year warranty vs the Griz one year. Would appreciate any thoughts on the impact of the differences especially as they concern the cutter heads and motors.
Grizzly has a low price every day. JET goes on sale usually a couple of times per year, sometimes with free shipping. That generally brings the price within $100-$200.

I purchased the JET JJP-12HH, for a variety of reasons. But as for actual capability/ cut quality, both are terrific machines. The differences in cutter head size, motor horse power, # of cutters etc. are not really all that important. I'm a big fan of Grizzly products as well, and their customer service is great.

If you're ever in the Raleigh area, feel free to stop by my shop and look at the machine.

simdave

New User
Dave
Can't thank you enough and I'll definitely let you know next time I go to Raleigh and see if we can get together.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
BTW, the new Polar Bear machine has a fence that clamps onto the side instead of using the traditional rack-and-pinion system, reducing its footprint (depth). That is certainly a big improvement, especially because a combination machine is typically purchased to save space.

bwat

New User
Bill
Don't know if you would consider the Rikon combo unit but I saw one on Charlotte Craig's list yesterday. Stated he bought new for 1800, selling for 1400 since the wife did not approve?!?!?!?

simdave

New User
Dave
Looked at the Rikon, (I have a Rikon band saw), but didn't see any option for a spiral head which is non-negotiable for me.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
Check the woodcraft, they might have a floor model Rikon listed close to that price. The Raleigh store had one till recently marked down quite abit.

reprosser

New User
Rick
I am in the same situation of trying to pick between Jet and Griz. I am looking at the 12" spiral head model. One difference is that the fence is removed on the Griz when using the planer - but the Jet stays attached but out of the way. Probably takes a little more room, but I am not tight on space. Also the Jet has a corrugated type of top while I think the Griz is the smooth surface. Still got a couple of weeks to decide...it is a tough call.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Do either of these have shear cutting helical heads like the shelix heads? I read a review where they found no difference between a non-shear cutting head and the shelix, but call me skeptical. I know I can get a different cut with a skewed plane, not always better, but different. Just curious.

simdave

New User
Dave
Jeff I've seen plenty of reviews of the Jet, (an excellent one from Bas, see link above), but while there are a lot of discussion threads on the Griz G0634XP, I have been unable to find a single user review from someone that has purchased the Griz. If you or anyone knows of one please post the link. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS