Jet Spindle Sander Question

ste6168

New User
Mike
Anyone have a Jet spindle sander and a magnetic dial indicator? I got mine last year, and has always seemed to "bounce" a little, but I don't use it enough that I ever really thought much into it. I was sanding some drawer front with a handle/notch yesterday, and started wondering, does this seem right for what should be the best-of-best bench top spindle sander...?

I will say, despite the roughness while sanding, it does produce smooth results.

Anyway, if anyone has this machine, and could measure the runout, that would be great!

dx1z5b1.jpg

WkrRXDW.jpg

Last edited:

BWhitney

Bruce
Corporate Member
I don't have that one, but now I HAVE to find out what mine does.
BTW. how much bounce do you get?

ste6168

New User
Mike
I don't have that one, but now I HAVE to find out what mine does.
BTW. how much bounce do you get?

f you click the “video” link, it will take you to a video where I focus on the dial indicator for a few seconds. I’m not sure exactly, I’ll be completely honest, I don’t fully know how to read a dial indicator! Lol. Needle seems to bounce between the 8 and 0, so is that 2 thousands of an inch?

In use, enough that you definitely notice and it doesn’t feel smooth while sanding. I tried to take a video of the piece bouncing, but it just sort of blurs, my iPhone camera shutter must not be fast enough.

Liam Crickard

New User
Bill
It looks to me like what you are seeing is bounce from the spinning, round spindle flexing the dial indicator sideways a little. Even so it appears to be not much more that .010". I would say you are worried about nothing. If you're really concerned I'll take it off your hands!

ste6168

New User
Mike
It looks to me like what you are seeing is bounce from the spinning, round spindle flexing the dial indicator sideways a little. Even so it appears to be not much more that .010". I would say you are worried about nothing. If you're really concerned I'll take it off your hands!

Yeah, doesn't seem like much, but feels like a lot when sanding. As I stated though, results are still fine, so I guess that speaks for itself. Maybe just one of those, paid for a premium tool, expected a bit smoother operation... I had the Ridgid sub 200 machine prior, and it was smoother in spindle sander operation.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
just a thought
Is the bounce the sander itself or the imperfections in the sandpaper? I highly doubt the quality control for gluing the sandpaper rolls together is very accurate. I would suspect any imperfection in the tool machining would be dwarfed bu the sandpaper and the rubber sleeve.

ste6168

New User
Mike
just a thought
Is the bounce the sander itself or the imperfections in the sandpaper? I highly doubt the quality control for gluing the sandpaper rolls together is very accurate. I would suspect any imperfection in the tool machining would be dwarfed bu the sandpaper and the rubber sleeve.

Yeah, not sure. The spindle itself seems to bounce a bit. I have found that the two larger spindles seem to bounce, the smaller three are much smoother. You may very well be correct, definitely could be just a mixture of the paper and rubber spindle insert on the larger spindles.

I know someone else here has to have this machine, would love to compare in general, forgo the dial indicator.

Liam Crickard

New User
Bill
If there is any sideways movement to the spindle, the shaft is turning too fast for the indicator to follow it. If you can, turn the spindle by hand, stopping every quarter turn and take readings. Seems to me though, the most important thing would be, is it perpendicular to the table and does it sand properly which it seems to do nicely.

Liam Crickard

New User
Bill
Bottom line though is if you are unhappy with now, it will probably always be in the back of your mind that something is wrong with it. You better get rid of it and when you replace it, leave the dial indicator in the drawer.

Even though it's obviously defective, out of the goodness of my heart I'll take it off you hands. :cool:

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have this sander. Shaft is 90° to the table when set flat (not angled). I have a feeling that the bounce is the product of the rubber drum. I have never noticed it with my machine.

Pop

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
You might try contacting the New Brit Workshop guy since he has the same sander:

He didn’t measure runout in the video, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he has checked.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS