Jet Osc edge sander OES-80CS

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
This is being carried over from another thread where it might be overlooked becuase of its topic. Travis Porter & I both were thinking of buying this edge sander. So I went looking for some prices. The following were NOT negotiated, they were the results of asking the right questions.

1. The sander won't be available until sometime after March 18th, when they are scheduled to arrive at Jet. At least 2 days after that before they can be shipped. Assume we probably wouldn't see one until last week of March.

2, They can be ordered now at a price of $899.

Woodcraft - in conjunction with this weekend's sale $899 - 10% + 76.65(Tax) + $75 (shipping) = $960.85 delivered to your door direct from Jet. $885.85 if delivered to store and then you pick up or separate deal will Herb about delivery.

Klingspor - in conjunction with their "Customer Appreciation days" in mid March, $899 - 10% + 76.65(Tax)= $885.85 delivered to your door from Jet or from Klingspor delivery truck.

CPO Jet - $899 no shipping, no Tax, delivered direct from Jet. These are good people to deal with.And I suspect, if you mention to the salesman that you can get 10% off from 2 different "brick & Mortor's", they probably will deal and you should be be able to get the best "total" cost delivered to your door.
1-800-714-0918 Nathan

I have not asked CPO, becuase I hate to negotiate a good deal and not be able to actually go ahead and order.

If they will not deal, then I hope we would support one of our local B & Ms with my vote to Klingspor becuase of their continued support and advertising. In fact I would go that way unless CPO is really willing to go crazy

Now is there another potential player, thesource (rick) is a ShopFox dealer not a Jet. But ShopFox has some comparable equipment at very good prices. But there you will need to contact Rick yourself. I know you will get great pricing from him. Rick is another one who advertises with the site and we should all try to support him.:thumbs_up

Finally, please note that March is a great time to buy any Jet or Powermatic tools. Deals are available.

striker

New User
Stephen
Steve,

I look at the horizontal sander and can’t help wondering what besides your grip prevents the work from shooting across the room? It appears to me a lot of your effort is used to counter the effects of the belt moving left to right. Perhaps someone can enlighten me differently but it appears to be a dedicated machine for edge sanding cabinet doors and such. I’d be interested in hearing other folk’s comments as to its usage.

I have the basic Grizzly combo machine which I occasionally use for contour sanding or rounding over an edge. In this case, the belt or disc runs perpendicular to the table so little effort is needed to hold the work piece in place. Most of the time the machine just takes up space because I don’t care to use it on furniture work.

Stephen

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Steve,

I look at the horizontal sander( I assume you are referring to the belt being perpendicular to the table and NOT parallell to the floor) and can’t help wondering what besides your grip prevents the work from shooting across the room? A piece of scrap clamped to the table would keep that from happening if it is a big concern. It appears to me a lot of your effort is used to counter the effects of the belt moving left to right. Perhaps someone can enlighten me differently but it appears to be a dedicated machine for edge sanding cabinet doors and such. I’d be interested in hearing other folk’s comments as to its usage. I think you are correct in your assessment that is is primarily for edges of cabinet doors. It is also used for shelving edges, edges of cutting boards, etc. It is great for quick sanding of end grain.

I have the basic Grizzly combo machine which I occasionally use for contour sanding or rounding over an edge. In this case, the belt or disc runs perpendicular to the table so little effort is needed to hold the work piece in place. Most of the time the machine just takes up space because I don’t care to use it on furniture work. This is quite often the case when want outweighs need.

Stephen[/QUOTE

Jerry:gar-Bi

striker

New User
Stephen
Thanks Jerry.
You pretty much confirmed my thoughts. I'll pass on it but if you do that type of work I'm sure its the cats meow.

Stephen

BrianInChatham

New User
Brian
Thanks Jerry.
You pretty much confirmed my thoughts. I'll pass on it but if you do that type of work I'm sure its the cats meow.

Stephen

Exactly. I picked up one of these several years ago (although may be an older model- it looks the same not totally sure) and it is by far my favorite "non-essential" tool in my shop. It makes getting a perfect edge on a shelf, mantle, etc a snap. As for your workpiece shooting across the room the unit also comes with w\ a stop that bolts on just before the dust chute. I found it gets in the way so took it off, and when needed clamp a piece of wood to the table as mentioned above. I'd be lying if I claimed none of my work had ever "acquired wings" though- there may be a dent or two in the wall shaped like the top of a mailbox I made a while back...:BangHead:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Exactly. I picked up one of these several years ago (although may be an older model- it looks the same not totally sure) and it is by far my favorite "non-essential" tool in my shop. It makes getting a perfect edge on a shelf, mantle, etc a snap. As for your workpiece shooting across the room the unit also comes with w\ a stop that bolts on just before the dust chute. I found it gets in the way so took it off, and when needed clamp a piece of wood to the table as mentioned above. I'd be lying if I claimed none of my work had ever "acquired wings" though- there may be a dent or two in the wall shaped like the top of a mailbox I made a while back...:BangHead:

Makes me want to get one. I just kind of am waiting for that 15 or 20 percent off sale that will be around the corner. :rolleyes: At least that is what happens whenever I buy something. It goes on sale....:BangHead:

BrianInChatham

New User
Brian
One other thing worth mentioning about this sander. The one beef I have with it is the height of the table is a bit of a nuisance to adjust- not real bad, just enough that I find I don't adjust it as often as I should. As a result I don't get the kind of life I really should out of the sanding belts- I end up with one worn strip and the rest largely unused. Jet sells an oscillating version which is an attractive solution to this problem. However, the shop I bought mine from (Woodworker' Source in Tempe, Az) had had so many problems and customer complaints with the oscillating model that they had stopped carrying it. Take that with a grain of salt, as this was 2 years ago and I have no personal experience with this, but if you're considering one it would be worth researching first.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Makes me want to get one. I just kind of am waiting for that 15 or 20 percent off sale that will be around the corner. :rolleyes: At least that is what happens whenever I buy something. It goes on sale....:BangHead:

Travis--------Tom Hintz did a review on the Jet OES within the last year or so I think. When he sold it "Makingsawdust" (Robert Wadell) in Charlotte bought it. Rob has been doing a lot of cutting boards, etc. He could give you a real good evaluation on that machine.

That was a thing on my "want" list, but as in many cases my want was bigger than my need so I did not buy one. It would be a great thing to have though.

Jerry

BrianInChatham

New User
Brian
Funny coincidence since we were just discussing edge sanders.. I went to The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville yesterday and wouldn't you know it- they have a used edge sander for sale for $450. It's under a different name but other than the and paint color looks identical to my Jet- I'm pretty sure it's just rebranded from the same manufacturer, or maybe made by a manufacturer that was later acquired by Jet. It looked to be in pretty good condition and I'd say it's a great deal for someone that's "on the fence" about one of these.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I really would like to get one of these, but my problem is where to put it.:no::no: I would have to give up my 22 44 drum sander, which I really don't want to do. :gar-Cr:gar-Cr:gar-Cr

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I really would like to get one of these, but my problem is where to put it.:no::no: I would have to give up my 22 44 drum sander, which I really don't want to do. :gar-Cr:gar-Cr:gar-Cr

Sounds like you need to get a bigger shop first ;-):banana:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Get rid of those Festool tables.:nah:

I want one myself. My problem isn't where to put it, but how to sneak it in without getting caught.:eusa_thin

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Travis: I am not that far from you so as a friend you can keep it here in my shop and use it anytime you want. If you wife ever asks me I will swear it is mine and this keeps you out of trouble.

:rotflm::rotflm::gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS