Jet Midi lathe 1014 bearings replacement walk through (picture heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truefire

New User
Chris
My poor little girl, the Jet Midi lathe VS1014 was in need of some bearing replacements. It should be a very straightforward process, you know the whole 'knock out a bearing and just replace it' kind of thing. I just thought I would share the repair in the event someone might be concerned about damaging the soft aluminum pulleys as I was initially. I had initially thought, "How in the world can I get the shaft knocked out of the pulley without damaging the pulley itself?" It was apparent that it is composed of aluminum.

I removed my entire headstock but you do not necessarily have to. Its only four machine bolts to remove and I can work over at the counter in the upright position as opposed to bending over, if left on the lathe. Plus, this lathe is bolted down on a bench top without a lot of working clearance behind it. I couldn't get my big head around the backside of the lathe. It's kind of nestled in an area so I just removed my headstock altogether.

Loosen and remove completely the 2 pulley set screws. This practice just prevents accidentally gouging your shaft later on when reassembling everything.

Arrange the headstock up on some blocks of wood with outboard side of headstock facing upwards.
Leave room for the shaft to be knocked out.

My main concern was that the softer aluminum pulley could be potentially damaged if I attempted to knock shaft out.
It would be sitting against the interior face of the headstock and I thought the taps would bend the face of the
second pulley runner. I just took the risk and allowed the pulley to sit down into the shaft hole.

Tap the shaft on through. One good thing about removing the headstock and working on a
counter as opposed to leaving it attached to the lathe is you don't have to worry about the
spindle shaft being knocked out onto the lathe bed then striking the floor or 'you got it', your big toe.

Be on the lookout for the key

Yippee!! This process did not damage the aluminum pulley in anyway.
Check your belt at this point because the last thing you wanna
do is have to dismantle the lathe again in a week to replace the belt. So replace bearings and belt all at once.
My belt looked good, so will just keep on using.
You see, the pulley faces were not damaged at all.

Shaft will more than likely come out with inner bearing still attached. Its a snug fit, engineering intent.

Once you create enough gap between spindle shaft and bearing, remove the bearing
by tapping it down the shaft with a piece of wood and rubber mallet.

Both bearings are out of the headstock. Just use wood to knock your outer bearing out, you wouldn't
want a screwdriver or metallic object to gouge the bearing seat. So use WOOD. You are a woodworker.

Wipe seats clean.

Order bearings, a four digit number on the side of your bearings are relative to sizing. So you can just use that
number to order the correct size. The alphabetical signifiers that follow the numbers depict bearing
composition and rubber seal composure inside and so forth. You would really need a bearing book to
learn what all those letters signify. If you order good quality bearings that bear (no pun intended)
your appropriate number, you should be fine.

Tap new bearings into place.

Don't leave your belt out of the equation and don't forget the shaft key.

After installing shaft, use a piece of cardboard or 1/16" wood material to use as a
'no-go' guage in setting the pulley in the appropriate location along the shaft. This is to
ensure we have the proper spacing between pulley and wall of housing, on the outer bearing end.
Snug pulley up against cardboard and tighten set screws.

Set headstock onto lathe and place belt onto pulley to ensure proper alignment of belt path has
been achieved by where you fastened the pulley onto the shaft. Mine was running parallel to interior wall.
Looked good.

Install washers on outboard side of shaft and reinstall handwheel.

Mount headstock and you are good to go.

-chris

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Chris!

Nice process pictures and good explanation.

Admins: Should this be "upgraded" to an article?

aplpickr

New User
Bill
A few added thoughts: Take a digital picture before you start disassembly. Use a set of deep 1/2" drive sockets to push the bearings on/off the shaft or housing. When pushing the new bearings, ALWAYS push on the bearing part that is under friction. Push on the center of bearing to remove from the shaft, push on the outer race of bearing to install in the housing. Pushing on the wrong side scores the balls or rollers with microscopic scratches. This will lead to early failure! If you can find them, replace all the set screws. SScrews are designed to cut into the shaft. The shaft is hardened so it will round over the cutting teeth of the screw. File all burrs from the shaft before applying new bearings or pulleys. Take measurements before you start. Use fully sealed bearings lubricated for life, unless your lathe has a means to lube them. Limit hammer blows to the headstock quill, bearings will last much longer. Most bearings are rated for radial loads, NOT LATERAL! Push only on the hub of pulleys. Polishing the shaft with some 400 sandpaper before assembly will make things easier. Have fun! Very good tutorial!

Truefire

New User
Chris
Outstanding additions Bill. Thanks so much. Very good. I was trying to keep the tutorial just as simple as I possibly could without being too wordy. I did have to clean my shaft up a bit with some steel wool, had some surface rusts in spots.

I can attest to the validity of your statement, "Limit hammer blows to the headstock quill." I unfortunately do a lot of various mandrel type turnings so unfortunately I have to deliver a sharp hammer blow to a specially made knock out bar which I crafted, ever so often to release one. This releasing method certainly takes its toll on the lathe bearings in short order. I agree, it certainly shows up later on down the road.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Chris: If you are getting drives stuck in the headstock, try to remember to hammer the drive into the wood before mounting on the lathe. If done with a wood, brass, or wooden mallet it will not peen over the Morse taper. Many lathes can have their drives removed by prying between the quill or headstock and the drive. This is much better than hammering with an extractor. Are your tapers clean, no rust, or no scratches and gouges? I always clean my taper sockets with a blast of air, occasionally use a taper cleaner, and rub it out with WD-40, then totally cleaned of oil.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Yeah I've got what you are saying. You are thinking about ordinary 'solid' morse tapers. I have no issues when using those types. I can just pop them right out without having to use a hammer. Just nothing but my hands.

Maybe I should have clarified for all of the newer guys, I understand you have been turning for quite sometime Bill. I was making reference to threaded mandrels which I actually use quite a bit. These on the other hand are secured into the headstock with a threaded drawbar. Upon need of removal, I use a threaded tool which I thread into the female threads deep enough to grab about 5-6 threads, to distribute slight impact and prevent damage to the threads. If I were to try to remove these mandrels the same way I remove those solid tapers by using the small push rod, I would damage those internal threads at the mouth of female thread opening.

Plus these mandrels never want to cooperate with a slight nudge after been held in place with the drawbar. And I never over-tighten the drawbar nut, I just barely snug the drawbar nuts. Its just that extra little bit of friction needing to be overcome. Yeah, I do keep all of my mandrels and tapers clean and free of scratches and/or surface rust. I actually treat all of them like little babies. I give them a bath ever so often in evapo-rust just to remove any smale scale of rust and such and wipe with a coat of oil before putting up.

Now what I do need is a good cleaning up inside my headstock morse, I'm sure. I keep it wiped out with a cotton cloth but I should buy me one of those morse cleaners, made of some type of ?<?> material, just for this purpose. I never have really gone through with the purchase. Having one of them might help to aid the mandrels coming out easier.

I have just never saw the removal process as too much of a bother to do so. Honestly, I really don't believe it would benefit boo much but I'm sure they couldn't hurt.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
The taper cleaners are plastic with a set of flutes to remove the crud. Well worth their price. I was SHOCKED the first time I used mine. Sawdust, etc. gets forced between the two pieces of metal and sticks hard like it was glued. You can't see it until you clean it out. A properly machined clean taper in good condition should lock and unlock with only light finger pressure.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Chris,
The taper cleaners are a good investment as Bill points out.
but you should also have a look at the MT in the spindle - is it grooved or very smooth?

If grooved - you might invest in a taper reamer - not just a reamer, but a #2 morse taper reamer - and lightly touch-up your #2 morse taper to make it nice a nice and shiny surface.

You should touch up your mandrels as well.

From your discussion, I think you already know all of this and probably do it, but I didn't in one of my older lathes and it really bit me! I don't think it hurts to state the obvious, you can always ignore my thread and move on, but if I didn't say it in an attempt to help...

My headstock in the jet is starting to clunk - so I probably have this task ahead of me soon!

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Hank: Use the largest screw driver that you own as a stethoscope. CAREFULLY put the tip of the screw driver outside near a bearing. Hold the handle and close your ear flap and press lightly against your head. Turn on the lathe slowly or have someone else do it. Any pops, scrapes, clunks, grinding signals a bad bearing. Bad belt.... bearings will be quiet. Tool houses have real mechanical stethoscopes, this works just as good. FREE!

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
yeah, i should buy some

Chris,
I have a #2 MT reamer if you think you need it.

But my guess, is cleaning them is first on the list!
I agree with Bill - they should break free pretty easily even if in a drawbar style. (I guess you could be over torquing them...??? That might pull them in too far?)

Truefire

New User
Chris
Chris,
I have a #2 MT reamer if you think you need it.

But my guess, is cleaning them is first on the list!
I agree with Bill - they should break free pretty easily even if in a drawbar style. (I guess you could be over torquing them...??? That might pull them in too far?)

Not over torquing them, just barely snugging the nut. I bet the problem lies up inside my headstock morse.

I keep my mandrels super clean as I have mentioned already but tonight took a peek inside the morse of the headstock. ughhh...a little superficial rust up in there. A big -No Bueno-.

A couple of years ago I had left a mandrel in the headstock for a few days. I was working on multiple projects at the time. Although, normally I never leave tooling in my lathes, this time I did. Well, I'm not sure what happen, I got super busy for about two weeks during which time some abrupt weather patterns were striking with warming and cooling. When I finally did manage to stand in in front of the lathe again, I thought I was going to have to fire up a cutting torch to get the dang mandrel out. It was horrific. I finally did coax that baby out of there. I cleaned the interior morse with some evapo-rust and the finest steel wool I had on hand, something like 0000. It did a fair job but I think that was the beginning of this issue perhaps <This small superficial pocket of rust up in there.>

I am more than likely in need of the morse reamer treatment. Never done that before. I was of the understanding that had to be done on a metal lathe.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Good information. Thank for all for sharing.
The variable speed went out this week on my 1014. At least the motor is still good.
COULD be the potentiometer, but more likely a new circuit board is in order.
Always something it seems. I hate repairing, it cuts into the new tool budget!

Truefire

New User
Chris
Andy, that sucks. I'm sorry for you bud. I know exactly how you feel if anyone does.

If you ohm the potentiometer out and determine that its the circuit board, you might consider having someone that knows how to read them, troubleshoot the board for you. I am proficient as an electrician but when it comes to circuit boards I haven't a clue so when mine on this 1014 lathe went out about 3 years ago, I called up my father which knows a man that is really good in electronics to take a look at my board. The new part, guess how much it cost? .16 cents. That was all it cost to fix my board, .16 cents. I bought the part off of ebay.

New boards were retailing for $135 or something to that effect. The guy didn't even charge me to work on it. Can you believe that, have your lathe repaired in the 21st century for under a quarter.

Dependent upon how much of a rush you are in, I could make some arrangements to obtain that guy's contact information and you could mail him the board. As far as I know he loves troubleshooting circuit boards and they aren't a bother to him. Give me a couple of days to gain contact with my father and I'll let you know something.

-chris

Truefire

New User
Chris
BUMP for CapnA

Andy, that sucks. I'm sorry for you bud. I know exactly how you feel if anyone does.

If you ohm the potentiometer out and determine that its the circuit board, you might consider having someone that knows how to read them, troubleshoot the board for you. I am proficient as an electrician but when it comes to circuit boards I haven't a clue so when mine on this 1014 lathe went out about 3 years ago, I called up my father which knows a man that is really good in electronics to take a look at my board. The new part, guess how much it cost? .16 cents. That was all it cost to fix my board, .16 cents. I bought the part off of ebay.

New boards were retailing for $135 or something to that effect. The guy didn't even charge me to work on it. Can you believe that, have your lathe repaired in the 21st century for under a quarter.

Dependent upon how much of a rush you are in, I could make some arrangements to obtain that guy's contact information and you could mail him the board. As far as I know he loves troubleshooting circuit boards and they aren't a bother to him. Give me a couple of days to gain contact with my father and I'll let you know something.

-chris

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Chris thanks, that is a heck of an offer. I can gladly wait if he might look at it.
My dear friend Col. Hill passed away as did my other electronic guru, Mr McDade. Both were electronic geniuses, literally. Mr McDade got a contract from an electronics company years ago. An employee had worked for over a year to invent a device to trouble shoot electronic problems, got mad and left the company with a working prototype but no information on how it worked. They contracted my friend to figure out how it worked so they could make more, giving him about a year to do the project. In less than a week he presented them with the ins and outs, as well as a simpler better device to do the same thing. He was not interested in their money, he just loved working on stuff.

Truefire

New User
Chris
Isn't that cool to have such knowledge in the earth? I hate hearing about any of these type of people leaving. I'm so sorry for your loss brother.

I love troubleshooting electrical issues in the same way that your friend did and am proficient in doing so. I am really good with contactors, relays, motor starters, commercial, industrial and residential electrical wiring but do not have a clue about electronic circuit boards. I have always said, I am going to take some coursework regarding them but have never been able to. I know what a resistor is and a diode is but that's about it.

Its really sad because I feel like at this age in my life I should be more familiar with them, having always been surrounded by them. But, my life already consists of 4-5 topics of study at any given time. Maybe one day.

I have texted my dad and he should give me a ring sometime tomorrow regarding that fellow's contact information. As soon as I hear something from him I will reply up here. -chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS