Jet Lathe Electrical issue

FlyingRon

Ron
I can't vouch for whatever "code book" he as using. I can tell you that no such exception exists in Durham County, North Carolina, or the national code if you're talking about a dwelling unit. Maybe the original poster will get an inspector as cavalier as yours, but this is not the current NC code.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I can't vouch for whatever "code book" he as using. I can tell you that no such exception exists in Durham County, North Carolina, or the national code if you're talking about a dwelling unit. Maybe the original poster will get an inspector as cavalier as yours, but this is not the current NC code.

The inspection was in Durham County and I'm not making up what the inspector told me. BTW, he wasn't being cavalier and most inspectors that I've encountered here can be flexible about code enforcement if there's a good reason to bend the rules. It's not the first time that I've experienced it in Durham, County.

There's still nothing illegal about a homeowner swapping out the GFCIs post inspection.

Last edited:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
You are most times allowed to have a non-GFCI dedicated outlet for a specific piece of equipment that causes nuisance tripping. I have one in my garage approved by the inspectors for a freezer. This can be accomplished several different ways for one outlet on a circuit if you don't want to run a dedicated circuit for the lathe, but first you will need to determine if the outlets are wired in series or in parallel, and if in series, where the outlet is in line coming from the panel.

As for changing out the GFCIs after inspection, the problem won't be a legal one, but it would be grounds for the insurance company to deny any claims rising from the electrical system, as well as any liability claims. It would also require you to restore it back before selling the place.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Ron
There's no such blanket exception (and the ones that exist don't seem to apply here). While the AHJ does indeed have final authority, you need to be careful because such a determination is not supported by the published codes in NC. Technically, it is a violation in NC to due work contrary to the code. While it's not criminal, it's not legal, and can come back to bite you in the future.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
The first question asked in this thread was what is the model number on this Jet lathe? There's been no answer to that unless I missed it somehow in multiple readings of this entire thread. Seems like an important piece of information that just might lead to a correct and useful answer.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
There's no such blanket exception (and the ones that exist don't seem to apply here). While the AHJ does indeed have final authority, you need to be careful because such a determination is not supported by the published codes in NC. Technically, it is a violation in NC to due work contrary to the code. While it's not criminal, it's not legal, and can come back to bite you in the future.

It's not worth debating the point over and over and over. You may be correct at the end of the day.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Are there "slow-blow" GFCI outlets (like there are in fuses and circuit breakers?

Echd

C
User
Interesting to see this thread pop up.

I recently unboxed a delta 46-460. When using a 12 gauge extension cord and attached to the circuit in my garage I use for most of my tools (my dust collector is on a dedicated circuit) it will trip the breaker on the circuit every time within about 30 to 45 seconds. Without the extension cord it runs just fine.

Were it a question of current draw I would understand, but it's a 1HP motor. I can use the same cord with much heavier draw tools including my tablesaw or planer with no issues, even over extended periods. In fact I've never tripped that breaker otherwise.

It isn't a problem to just plug the lathe in directly, but I will admit it gave me quite a headache trying to figure out if my breaker was bad or if I screwed up the wiring.

AgingHippie

New User
Greg
In general, the electrical codes allow non-GFCI receptacles for dedicated equipment, even in an area where they are normally required. I would use a single receptacle, not a duplex, so you don’t mistakenly plug in something like a portable tool that really should be protected.

And yes, I had the exact same problem with a Jet lathe with a variable frequency drive some years ago. Just put in a dedicated circuit without GFCI.

FlyingRon

Ron
In general, the electrical codes allow non-GFCI receptacles for dedicated equipment, even in an area where they are normally required. I would use a single receptacle, not a duplex, so you don’t mistakenly plug in something like a portable tool that really should be protected.

And yes, I had the exact same problem with a Jet lathe with a variable frequency drive some years ago. Just put in a dedicated circuit without GFCI.
Again, no such exemption exists in the NEC or the North Carolina amendment to that. The exemption for garages only covers things installed more than 8 feet above the floor (to accommodate garage door openers) and for basements to accommodate alarm systems. The only other general case is for certain light and ceiling fan installations.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member

I recently unboxed a delta 46-460. When using a 12 gauge extension cord and attached to the circuit in my garage I use for most of my tools (my dust collector is on a dedicated circuit) it will trip the breaker on the circuit every time within about 30 to 45 seconds. Without the extension cord it runs just fine.

Were it a question of current draw I would understand, but it's a 1HP motor. I can use the same cord with much heavier draw tools including my tablesaw or planer with no issues, even over extended periods. In fact I've never tripped that breaker otherwise.

It isn't a problem to just plug the lathe in directly, but I will admit it gave me quite a headache trying to figure out if my breaker was bad or if I screwed up the wiring.

Did you check how much current the tool was drawing with a clamp meter? That would tell you a lot. You could also have a weak breaker. I have seen both old and brand-new breakers that tripped well below their stated rating. I would suggest trying another extension cord, possibly a #10 cord. It used to amaze me on construction sites how some tools with the same plate ratings would run on 200+ feet of extension cords and others would trip the break at 100'.

Also, is this a GFCI or Arc-fault breaker? Both can cause issues with some electric motors, especially arc fault-breakers. If you have access to a circuit analyzer, you might find that there are issues with the extension cord or the branch circuit itself. A #12 cord, rated for 20-amps, is not going to perform up to its potential if it is connected to a 15-amp, #14 branch circuit.

Echd

C
User
I haven't thrown a killawatt on it, but the issue remains consistent- I can run any tool on that circuit with that extension cord other than the lathe, and even if the lathe is at low speed and/or no load.

Remove the extension cord and the lathe will never trigger the breaker on that circuit.

I ran several hundred linear feet of wood through a dw735x with that same cord and outlet and never tripped it. It's strange for sure. There is no way a 1 hp lathe is pulling more current than many other tools, and it isn't starting amps either- it will trigger generally well after it has started. It is a 20 amp circuit.

My solution has been to just nudge the lathe two feet over instead of using an extension cord. Ultimately not a big deal, but definitely weird.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I had the same problem with my jet. I converted my gfci receptacle to a dual gang box. I put a normal receptacle in front of the gfci. The gfci receptacle protects all the downstream receptacles and I use the upstream for the lathe.
image.jpg

Gkliment

New User
Gary
Did you check how much current the tool was drawing with a clamp meter? That would tell you a lot. You could also have a weak breaker. I have seen both old and brand-new breakers that tripped well below their stated rating. I would suggest trying another extension cord, possibly a #10 cord. It used to amaze me on construction sites how some tools with the same plate ratings would run on 200+ feet of extension cords and others would trip the break at 100'.

Also, is this a GFCI or Arc-fault breaker? Both can cause issues with some electric motors, especially arc fault-breakers. If you have access to a circuit analyzer, you might find that there are issues with the extension cord or the branch circuit itself. A #12 cord, rated for 20-amps, is not going to perform up to its potential if it is connected to a 15-amp, #14 branch circuit.
If you have gfci I outlets that might be the problem in linking your lathe off, I ave a 1640 jet and so does my son-in-law, and both lathes kikck out because of gif I outlets.
Gary

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS