Jet AFS-1000B Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I recently bought this air filter when they went on sale at WoodCraft (was 240$ when I picked it up). I have never owned an air filter so I won't try to compare it to others. But it had features that I thought are important:

• External filter can be bought at HD/Lowes
  • Internal filter can be washed/cleaned out (i.e. is not a consumable)
  • Remote control (although it is IR so requires line of sight)
  • Shut off timer (so you can leave the shop and it will run for 2,4, or 8 hours depending on the setting).
I just started using it and can tell you I wish I bought one sooner. It seems to do quite well at filtering the air. Last night I took a belt sander to some MDF (wearing a 3M mask). After about 5 mins I took off the mask and couldn't even smell MDF!

And it has some additional benefits that I had not considered. It moves a ton of air. The circulation feels good compared to stagnant air. It also helps distribute the heat through out the room (I have a 220v electric heater).

Hanging/installing it can be a pain. They only give you a 6' cord. I plan on hanging it from the provided eyehooks eventually but right now it is sitting on top of a very high cabinet against a long wall.

If you are interested in buying one I believe WoodCraft increased the price 20$ and Amazon dropped their price 50$ or so which makes them competitive. On the other hand I like buying local when their prices are competitive.

Thanks for listening!
Salem

manfre

New User
Manfre
I picked up one of these too, but haven't installed it yet. Definitely not looking forward to lugging it up the ladder.

milleo

New User
Oak
I love mine. I've been contemplating the replacement inner filter from Wynn since it has about another 25% surface area.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
  • Shut off timer (so you can leave the shop and it will run for 2,4, or 8 hours depending on the setting).
Have owned mine for several years now. Every shop should have (or similiar to).

But, I have yet to find an External Filter at HD that fits this. The box store versions are slightly over sized, which means you have to "scrunch" it into place..

Jet sells a "washable" version of the external filter, and I ended up getting that, works great.

Just make sure you blow it out first (outside garage/shop). Then toss in Dishwasher.:eusa_doh:

Anyone who has better info, please chime in.....

Matt

bholcombe

New User
Ben
I picked up one of these about three years ago now I think, they're great. And really hard to install with chains attaching to the ceiling by yourself. I vividly remember coming extremely close to dropping the whole thing while trying to hold it up while standing on the ladder to get it hooked onto my chains (12 ft ceiling, hanging down about 3-4 feet). They work great though, cleans up the air in no time. Though I don't remember the filter being that tight a fit, I'll have to take a look, been a while since I changed mine out with a Filtrete one I believe. It also works great if you are trying to heat up your garage and all your hot air is up at the ceiling. Turn it on and get a nice even heat distribution through the whole place.

Glennbear

Glenn
I picked up one of these too, but haven't installed it yet. Definitely not looking forward to lugging it up the ladder.

Definitely get some help! I foolishly attempted to do it by myself but soon realized it was best to draft my neighbor for the few minutes it took to hang it.:wsmile:

Glennbear

Glenn
Have owned mine for several years now. Every shop should have (or similiar to).

But, I have yet to find an External Filter at HD that fits this. The box store versions are slightly over sized, which means you have to "scrunch" it into place..

Jet sells a "washable" version of the external filter, and I ended up getting that, works great.

Just make sure you blow it out first (outside garage/shop). Then toss in Dishwasher.:eusa_doh:

Anyone who has better info, please chime in.....

Matt

I originally had a shop built air filter and had bought a cut to fit washable mesh filter at HD. Frugal person that I am I will see if I can resize it for the Jet. A tight fitting Filtrete filter I think I could live with also. :wsmile:

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Looks like Jet has an optional washable electrostatic filter. I have one of these on my JDS 750. A bit pricey up front, but it should pay for itself in realtively short order.

It only takes about 5 minutes to pull it out, tap it a couple of times on the ground and put it back in. When it needs a real good cleaning, just rinse it off with a garden hose.

Glennbear

Glenn
I picked up one of these about three years ago now I think, they're great. And really hard to install with chains attaching to the ceiling by yourself. I vividly remember coming extremely close to dropping the whole thing while trying to hold it up while standing on the ladder to get it hooked onto my chains (12 ft ceiling, hanging down about 3-4 feet). They work great though, cleans up the air in no time. Though I don't remember the filter being that tight a fit, I'll have to take a look, been a while since I changed mine out with a Filtrete one I believe. It also works great if you are trying to heat up your garage and all your hot air is up at the ceiling. Turn it on and get a nice even heat distribution through the whole place.

Took the words right out of my mouth. :gar-Bi

jhreed

New User
james
I have found that Jet makes good stuff. From combintion wrenches to lathes. I love their parallel clamps, and their quick clamps.
James

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Great purchase! I have a similar system, it has proven to be very effective. Mine came with an electrostatic filter and I am very pleased with it. It certainly makes the workshop environment much cleaner and hopefully more healthy.
:eek:ccasion1
Cheers,
Donn

manfre

New User
Manfre
Since this is related. There is currently a promotion (by JET?) that drops $70 off the price of the AFS-1000B. Amazon, Woodcraft and a few others are showing a base price of $270. My suggestion is to save tax and shipping with amazon and use the ~$20 saved in tax toward a tax deductible donation to NCWW. ;)

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Where is the best place to mount the unit? I was planning on hanging it from the ceiling right in the middle of the workspace, but the guys at woodcraft suggested I hang it close to a wall to get a cyclonic effect. I know not to mount it in a corner, any other rules of thumb?

There is no outlet handy, so I was thinking of wiring it in with the lights so I can never forget to turn it on. Any thoughts?

eyekode

New User
Salem
I read 1/3 of the way down the longest wall to get good circulation. And aim the clean air at you. Don't want yourself between the dust producer and the inlet of the filter.

As for wiring if you have a light you could add an outlet. But that may mean you have to add gfci to the circuit to meet code. I would rather not have it on the same switched circuit as the lights. Then it is a pain to use the timer.

Note: I don't really know anything about code. But when I wired my garage all the circuits that had receptacles needed to be GFCI. Those without did not require it.

Salem

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
1/3 of the way down the longest wall to get good circulation....
Salem

Thanks Salem, I got it in place with the inlet aprox. 7' from the corner of a 21' wall, and circulation seems effecient. I have a dead spot in "turn 3" that I'll need to suplement w/ a small fan, but that's easy enough. I ended up just running an extension chord to a wall outlet for now, that'll be revised when I run extended wiring w/in the next few weeks, (another project I decided to bump up in the que after this weekend)

As a note to others - DO NOT TRY TO MUSCLE THIS THING INTO PLACE BY YOURSELF. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I read posts saying the same thing before I tried it too, but trust me - I'm 29, and work out 5 days a week - I got it installed, but that is about the dumbest thing I have tried to do in the shop. A one armed shoulder press of an enevenly weighted "box" while standing on a ladder to reach a 10' ceiling is not an intelligent move. :saw:

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
When I hung my JDS 750-ER Air filter on the ceiling a few years ago I took a slightly different approach.

I used a pair of 5/16" nylon ropes and tied one rope to each of two opposing corners. I tied a good knot on the air cleaner's eyebolts then threaded the rope through the ceiling eyebolts. I pre-attached my chains to each of the four corners. You can even use a block and tackle if you need to multiply your lifting force.

I then (with the help of one other) hoisted it up to the ceiling with the ropes and tied off the ropes. I positioned my ladder to one side and hang the two opposing eyebolts that did not have rope attached. Once they were secured I removed the rope from the other two eyebolts. Afterwards I secured the chains for those two remaining corners as well.

End result: An air cleaner 8-1/2 feet off the floor (hung to a 10'6" ceiling) safely and without any major events. :BangHead: I even got to perfect the system a second time upon discovering I had hung it facing precisely the opposite direction of what I had intended!:BangHead:

Letting the ropes bear the weight and tieing them off eliminated any chance of accidently dropping the unit. It also spared me from trying to balance the unit upon an 8ft ladder. They only weigh around 60-70lbs, but that 60-70lbs over your head is a heck of a lot heavier than you think it is!

However you tackle it, Good Luck and Congratulations!

novice99

New User
Mike
I have a high ceiling shop (16') and agree wholeheartedly with the use of ropes or a block and tackle approach to safely getting these up to hang. I have had to do this twice solo (found a second for pennies on CL) and being an idiot, I 1st tried to muscle the thing up my ladder :eusa_doh::BangHead::eusa_doh:. Thankfully I got slightly smarter before I gave myself a head or back injury falling off the ladder. I have the two facing opposite directions on opposite sides of the shop to create a racetrack effect.

given the overall poor quality (and expense) of the properly sized pre-filters, I bought a 'universal size' washable filter I bought at the BORG. Cutting the plastic frame and the filter to size took 2minutes and it is a piece of cake to pull it out, wash it, and put it back in.

These airfilters are a great 3rd line of protection from airborne dust: 1st is DC at the source and 2nd is a face mask. I got my PW 66 and the 2nd filter over the years from 2 different guys who were liquidating their shops because they developed asthma from their hobby. :gar-Cr

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS