Jet 1642 lathe on sale for 92% off at Amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Ok, so I came across this listing on Amazon for a Jet 1642EVS-2 2HP 230 volt 1 phase lathe for $254 plus $232.50 shipping. That is 92% off the original list price of $3140! How can this be? Sounds very fishy to me. I know that this lathe had some speed control issues but at that price it could be worth it do you think? Does Amazon stand behind their sellers if something goes awry? What do you guys think? Here is the link.
https://www.amazon.com/Jet-708360-J...TF8&qid=1483807264&sr=8-1&keywords=jet+708360

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Looks like it is now showing currently unavailable. Maybe they realized they made a mistake on the pricing or only had one and it sold. lol

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
Here is a picture of the original listing with the price.
jetamazonlathe.jpg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Reminds me of the Home Depot WorkSharp debacle of a few years ago.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Scammer. Lots of them this time of year. I bet it was a brand new seller and it disappeared because Amazon deleted them.

obxdiver

New User
Bart
May be like the compressor I was going to buy. I thought I'd found a bargain. $89 when I added it to my cart. $296 when I went to check out. Note the next to last line of text in the photo.

viair.png

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
On Amazon? I can understand Ebay but I thought purchases were safe thru Amazon. Learn something everyday. Glad I didn't try to buy it.

obxdiver

New User
Bart
On Amazon? I can understand Ebay but I thought purchases were safe thru Amazon. Learn something everyday. Glad I didn't try to buy it.

Oh, I think purchases are safe, and Amazon has always treated me fairly. They have one of the best return policies/processes in the business, and even have "I found a lower price elsewhere" as a choice in the list of reasons for the return. A couple of times they've told me to keep the item and still gave me an instant refund.

You have to pay attention though, prices change are subject to change at any moment. Be sure the price you were expecting is what is shown before clicking "Place Order".

obxdiver

New User
Bart
Can't say with 100% certainty, but I think they would, as long as you check out and pay before the listed price goes up. I've bought a thing or 2 on there at surprisingly low prices, later decided I should buy more at that price, gone back, and found higher prices. The quoted price was always honored on the original order.

Rick M

New User
Rick
In a case like this, would the seller have to honor the quoted price?
In this case I'm sure it was a scammer so you aren't going to get a lathe. You would either get nothing or an empty box. Amazon will refund your money. If it's a pricing error and you order from a third party they can cancel the order. If they do it too often they get spanked by Amazon. If it's a pricing error and it's fulfilled by Amazon they will honor the price. Amazon always acts in the best interest of the customer unless the customer has a bad history.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Opensightryan

New User
Ryan
I bought a dmt diasharp 10 inch stone off amazon for about $20 and was excited to tell everyone here. About 5 min after I hit the purchase button I was posting it in the hot deals section and went to make a link and when I checked the price it went up to about $100. They honored the price that they showed first but I was still wanting to pass that deal on.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Sometimes on Amazon you find a low price on something and after you buy it, the price jumps up to normal. Just Amazon's whacky pricing algorithms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS