Jet 15" planer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I can't comment as to whether the price is optimal (and it really depends upon condition any how), but I would not hesitate to purchase a 15" Jet Jointer of the style offered.

Even if the price is not optimal, if your local options are limited then it may well be worth it any how.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Thanks Ethan,

I am sure if I did find a jointer that was 15" wide I would surely jump on it at $600, ha ha. (I know what you meant). Then again a planer at that price I'm surely hesitating on.

It looks like he is the second owner and when I asked him about snipe he said maybe just little, but then asked later what it was. After explaining to him what it is, he said that he has never had that problem and thought that snipe was tear out. So no snipe is good as the Steel City planer was horrible for that.

I will either be the proud owner of the machine or not. He did have it listed for $800 just two weeks ago and now listed for $600. We will see how patient I can be or how fast it sells.

Thanks,

Matthew

TBradley190

New User
Tim
I have the same planer I bought on C/L for the same price and drove 100 miles to get it. Best money I've spent in my shop. Couple it with a set of solid carbide blades and I think you'll like it.

Tim

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If you go to second page of ads, you can get same basic planer in YELLOW for only $500 more. ($500 buys a lot of cans of spray paint!) That's a reasonable price if machine is in good condition. Remember it weighs around 700 pounds, so take some help with you to load it. I paid $600 for my Delta DC-380 (also a 15" four post) about eight years ago. I bought it from a friend.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
If you go to second page of ads, you can get same basic planer in YELLOW for only $500 more. ($500 buys a lot of cans of spray paint!) That's a reasonable price if machine is in good condition. Remember it weighs around 700 pounds, so take some help with you to load it. I paid $600 for my Delta DC-380 (also a 15" four post) about eight years ago. I bought it from a friend.

This is true for most modern Jet/Powermatic models since they are both owned and manufactured by WMH. However, the fit and finish on a Powermatic will typically be better than that of the Jet -- and that is mostly what justifies the price difference for the Powermatic line. It is up to the individual to decide how much the better fit and finish justifies that price difference, though.

Neither a Jet nor a Powermatic will be a bad purchase and both are very serviceable and dependable in use.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
However, the fit and finish on a Powermatic will typically be better than that of the Jet -- and that is mostly what justifies the price difference for the Powermatic line. /QUOTE] Neither "fit nor finish" plane wood. It's a tool, not a shrine. The nice thing about used tools is the previous owner / owners have usually gotten all the bugs out, though sometime they sell because they can't get the bugs out. Then most of the time it's that they aren't mechanically inclined.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Also shown on that page is a $1200 powermatic planer/molder of the Belsaw design. In case you had a hankering to make molding.

i have the same machine in a newer design and its a brute.

The Jet should be fine as long as not damaged/abused.

-Mark

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Welp I sure messed up. I texted the man today asking if I could come see it as it was still on the classifieds and he texted back saying that he sold it yesterday... Arggh

At least my wife was happy... wa wa wa :BangHead: :eusa_doh: for me though.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
15" planers are like buses. There will be another later. Of course, you could look at the PM for a lot more money. Don't be afraid to buy a Taiwanise no name if its priced right. They also plane wood Do a search here for Salem's trip down that road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS