Jet 10/20 sander (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Hello again!

Does anyone have any experience with the jet 10/20 drum sander? Is it a worthwhile machine?

I understand its capacity limitations, but is it any good, or should I steer clear?

thx!

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Mine has been a workhorse for years. When I got it I didn't have room for a larger one, since then we have a bigger shop but I haven't had a reason to replace it.
It's not a replacement for a planer but it does what it is meant to do very well.
ken

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Mine has been a workhorse for years. When I got it I didn't have room for a larger one, since then we have a bigger shop but I haven't had a reason to replace it.
It's not a replacement for a planer but it does what it is meant to do very well.
ken

What kind of stuff do you use it for? I know that it would have been handy when I made a bench recently-- My ROS seems to kind of 'dome' stuff that isn't as wide as it (yeah, could be operator error).

I picked up a festool sander the other day (haven't been able to try it out yet tho), and it has the option of more firm backing/sanding pads, which would probably help.

I also thought that it would be good for narrower veneers.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I've got it, under the Performax brand. It's a decent little machine and I know I'm glad to have it. I'd love to have a larger wide belt sander, but this little guy does a great job and saves a TON of sanding time. If you make it over to my place, you can check it out!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I have a 16/32 drum sander. As Ken stated don't expect this to surface plane. You'll be very dissappointed if you do. The grit height on the paper is about the max you'll be able to remove without stalling and tripping the breaker. Got dust collection? You'll need more than a shop vac.

jamie

jamie
Senior User
I have a 16/32 drum sander. As Ken stated don't expect this to surface plane. You'll be very dissappointed if you do. The grit height on the paper is about the max you'll be able to remove without stalling and tripping the breaker. Got dust collection? You'll need more than a shop vac.

Yeah, I have a jet DC with the canister.

I have a ridgid planer (which will end up on the classifieds very soon ;)) for thicknessing.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Jamie,

I have the Performax 22-44 DS I picked up used for a little more than 10-20 new.

One thing not mentioned in your question, do you want this for shop size limitations?

Or, price/budget constraints?

If budget, consider getting a deal on a bigger used one.

It's a thickness sander, as opposed to a thickness planer.

A Thickness sander allows you to sand to a uniform thickness. Some peoples use it to create veneers as little as 1/16, according to one of the guys at Woodcraft. Also used to clean up panels, etc..

My Dewalt 735 thickness planer didn't like doing some figured woods,like zebra, at anything below a 1/8in (double taped to backer board). But a drum will glide thru this like butter.

Although the DeWalt does a fine job of creating smooth cuts, I now have gotten in habit of running all my pieces thru the Drum, almost eliminating any use of hand sanders.

Im currently building a Chess Board, in which I Bandsawed my pieces to a 1/4 inch and then getting them glued up and then thickness sanded to about 3/16ths, without having to plane, risking them getting torn up, due to different grain patterns, etc....

Just a couple of examples of the difference and why I now can't live without mine. Takes woodworking to a new level of precision..IMHO.

Good Luck!

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Jamie,

I have the Performax 22-44 DS I picked up used for a little more than 10-20 new.

One thing not mentioned in your question, do you want this for shop size limitations?

Or, price/budget constraints?

If budget, consider getting a deal on a bigger used one.

It's a thickness sander, as opposed to a thickness planer.

A Thickness sander allows you to sand to a uniform thickness. Some peoples use it to create veneers as little as 1/16, according to one of the guys at Woodcraft. Also used to clean up panels, etc..

My Dewalt 735 thickness planer didn't like doing some figured woods,like zebra, at anything below a 1/8in (double taped to backer board). But a drum will glide thru this like butter.

Although the DeWalt does a fine job of creating smooth cuts, I now have gotten in habit of running all my pieces thru the Drum, almost eliminating any use of hand sanders.

Im currently building a Chess Board, in which I Bandsawed my pieces to a 1/4 inch and then getting them glued up and then thickness sanded to about 3/16ths, without having to plane, risking them getting torn up, due to different grain patterns, etc....

Just a couple of examples of the difference and why I now can't live without mine. Takes woodworking to a new level of precision..IMHO.

Good Luck!

I am looking at this one for size/space consideration.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I have the Performax 22-44 Plus. I planned to get a used 16-32 but I couldn't turn down the deal I got on the 22-44. I don't know how I did without it all these years. Sure wish I had it when I was building our kitchen cabinets. Highly recommend it. Just take light passes, don't try to hog off too much on a pass and yes you need some dust collection.

Used mine this morning to sand down some short glue ups. Too short for the planer plus some of the wood was curly maple which will chip out sometimes on the planer but the WB sander handles it just fine to even out the glue ups.

Last edited:

jamie

jamie
Senior User
OK, you guys have me thinking now.

I was going to pull the trigger on a jointer/planer combo with a helical head, but now I think that I am going to go wider on the sander, and just get conventional knives (can't do both ;))

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Oh man ... I'd be going helical and just hold off on the drum sander until you get a few more bucks. All I is straight knives and can't not wait to get into the helical, carbide setup!

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Oh man ... I'd be going helical and just hold off on the drum sander until you get a few more bucks. All I is straight knives and can't not wait to get into the helical, carbide setup!

what if-- you were at a point where you had spent so much $$$ lately that it will be a cold day in ____ before your wife lets you buy any more tools, then what would you do ;) ??

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
what if-- you were at a point where you had spent so much $$$ lately that it will be a cold day in ____ before your wife lets you buy any more tools, then what would you do ;) ??

:gar-La; Go over my budget, then apologize and "promise" to never do it again.

Personally ... I'd still get the carbide/helical head on a very good planer/jointer. Those are CRITICAL machines in the shop. The sander is a nice to have in most cases.

timf67

New User
Tim

I have been wanting a drum sander for a long time, but the more I live without one, the more I realize that I can live without one! Anyway, I have the dewalt 13" surface planer and I use it for thicknessing and it does a pretty good job of leaving a decent finish. If I were you and hand the green light to spend right now, I would go with the combo with helical head. I guarantee that the helical head will leave a better finish than my straight knife machine. Besides, think of the gloat you can post when you get the combo machine! :gar-Bi

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Well, as soon as I want to do any veneering, I will need the sander. One of my potential upcoming projects is re-facing a vanity (either that or replacing it, which is WAY more involved)

I would need the sander for that...

decisions, decisions...

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Well, as soon as I want to do any veneering, I will need the sander. One of my potential upcoming projects is re-facing a vanity (either that or replacing it, which is WAY more involved)

I would need the sander for that...

decisions, decisions...

If the 10/20 would do the job ... you can always borrow mine. How's that for a deal? :gar-La;

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I'v had the 10-20 for bout eight years and would be lost without it and believe me when I say I have worked it hard.It's one of the toughest machines that I have.Never had a problem with it,OOPS maybe I shouldn't have said that :gar-Cr

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User

Weak...very weak...if you truly WANTED it then you'd be posting pics! :gar-La;

(and living in the shop, too)

Chuck

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Weak...very weak...if you truly WANTED it then you'd be posting pics! :gar-La;

(and living in the shop, too)

Chuck

Once I am able to get to costco, and get the shelves that I need before my garage falls over, I will post some pics :gar-Bi

Let's just say that if festool OR woodcraft have financial trouble, that at least I did MY part...

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Just wait on the drum and get a wide belt. ;-)

As for helix or shelix, you might consider Tersa as an alternative.

As for the wife, you have to learn how to be creative in the stuff arriving in the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS