Jane Austen’s writing desk

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
I accidentally ran across this link for Jane Austen’s writing desk.

I can’t quite make out the corner joinery. At least not on my phone. If I am seeing it correctly, it reminds me a bit of a lock miter. I also can’t tell if it’s veneered, though I ‘d expect some veneer loss on such an old and well travelled piece of furniture.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
An interesting piece of Jane Austen (1775-1827) memorabilia. It's better on a computer and there are several options for getting better views and closeups. It looks like solid wood and not veneer. The writing surface is in 2 hinged pieces and flips to open like a book.

Last edited:

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Is this a piece you're interested in reproducing?

Dave, The short answer is, it’s not something I plan on doing in the immediate future.

Unfortunately, I have too many unfinished projects that are already partially completed WIP or are rough cut stock sitting stickered.

The long answer is, I’ve always been interested in building a lap desk. This one is different than the typical Shaker or Thomas Jefferson/Declaration of Independence lap desk. So for my taste, it’s an interesting candidate.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I was thinking that if you wanted to buy the OBJ file from the link Jeff provided and send it to me, I could make a SketchUp file of it and create a plan document for you to work from.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Dave, That would be awesome but you’re facilitating more bad behavior on my part.

I have committed to completing all my WIP before starting any other/new projects. Unfortunately, I’m not making the headway each day that I imagined myself doing. Today for example, was to be a dedicated shop day. Did I mention it was a beautiful 70 degree spring day here in Virginia. Nicest day all year. I found tons of blooming spring bulbs buried under debris from last fall.

It was a nice treat to see them!

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Leave it to me to facilitate bad behavior in others. :D

Actually, I understand. Well, all except the 70 degree thing. What's that?

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Leave it to me to facilitate bad behavior in others. :D

Actually, I understand. Well, all except the 70 degree thing. What's that?

I almost didn’t mention the 70 degree part.

I was too busy to shoot any photos today, but the Crocus and these tiny Iris are up.

The Hyacinths aren’t too far behind.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Nice!

Our snow was finally starting to melt. The ice dams are gone. But it's gotten cold again so the sidewalk is like a skating rink.

drumley

New User
Dave
I realize that his post is a bit late but that is pretty much a standard writing slope of the day. You can do a search for "writing slope construction" and find the details you are looking for. If I'm not mistaken I believe reproduction hardware may be available as well. Even though it appears to be solid the normal construction method of the day was to use a secondary wood and veneer. I have a couple of examples and that is how they are constructed.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
If my thought on the joinery is correct it should be full blind dovetails. That was a common joint for that period.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
If my thought on the joinery is correct it should be full blind dovetails. That was a common joint for that period.

Richard, I think you’re right, but they did do a miter with a rabbet. If you look at the bottom right part of the first photo, you can see the joint.

Never tried a hidden dovetail with a miter and a rabbet.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
All I can make out on that photo is the miter, it gets to grainy to see it any clearer. however, I'll take your word for it because I know it could be done either way. I think this is a very interesting piece regardless of who owned it.

Leatherneck

New User
Tom
I accidentally ran across this link for Jane Austen’s writing desk.

I can’t quite make out the corner joinery. At least not on my phone. If I am seeing it correctly, it reminds me a bit of a lock miter. I also can’t tell if it’s veneered, though I ‘d expect some veneer loss on such an old and well travelled piece of furniture.
I have made a lot of lap desks for friends in Rev War Reenacting in the past but not as neat as this one. I like the brass post support and the reverse side set-up when opened. The catch for the section holding paper is simple but practical. Most of the simple desks did not have a closed compartment for that. I have got to make one of these to show to the reenacting community. Now, all I have to do is finished the stack of military saddles to be re-built that have been staring at me for some time. Nah, I'm going to start finding the hardware to copy this desk.

cmboggs

Chris
User
A word of caution...once you complete the desk you will no longer have any excuses for poor writing. It always amazing me how prolific/iconic a writer Jane Austin was with so little resources.

Leatherneck

New User
Tom
You must take pictures and share them as you go. ;)
You must take pictures and share them as you go. ;)
I almost bought a fantastic camera package (3 lenses, case, and all the goodies for great photos, etc.) a little over a year ago when it was on sale for close-out of that model for about $350 to $400, but my wife was not happy with the idea i.e. "You'll never use it" etc. Well, I didn't get it and that package now sells for about $900 or more. So I don't have anything to take photos with except a store bought disposal, which means I can't put anything on the computer to send anything. Oh, and before you think it, my phone is an old military grade flip top with no internet.

Leatherneck

New User
Tom
I almost bought a fantastic camera package (3 lenses, case, and all the goodies for great photos, etc.) a little over a year ago when it was on sale for close-out of that model for about $350 to $400, but my wife was not happy with the idea i.e. "You'll never use it" etc. Well, I didn't get it and that package now sells for about $900 or more. So I don't have anything to take photos with except a store bought disposal, which means I can't put anything on the computer to send anything. Oh, and before you think it, my phone is an old military grade flip top with no internet.
View attachment 187015
You mean there's no camera in this?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS