Jakes Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer Sr.

New User
Jim
About 15+ years ago, Travis downloaded plans from the internet (scoundrl@mindspring.com) for Jakes chair. Now I am planning to make a bunch of them for the deck overlooking Lake Huron's North Channel, and am wondering if the plans have been updated, or if anyone has experience with them that I ought to know about. The plans were published by one Tom Gauldin in Raleigh, so perhaps he is a member of this forum?

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
I made a set out of cypress this spring w/ the following modifications from the original plans (too tired to get the photos to post correctly, sorry). I've also got the footrests almost completed, just need to find some time to finish sanding......The mods came from the link/article below, which I found helpful.

http://home.comcast.net/~cdhepler38/Projects/JakesChairAmended.pdf

1) I lengthened the back slats from 31" to 34". It didn't seem to need an extra upper back support

2) On one chair I followed the original design for the upper back support and used 3" #14 screws through the arm support into the end grain of the upper back support. On the 2nd, I lengthened the upper back support to run under the arm (and shortened the arm support) and attached it via the arm directly (the attached link describes it better) so to avoid screwing into the end grain.

3) I used 4" wide legs with a 2nd support attached to the inside of the leg directly under the seat frame rather than the extra wide legs from the original design. (again, see the article)

4) The attached article gave me a good reference for setting up the seating angle accurately, although I think it has just a bit too much of an angle still.

5) Final thickness of my lumber was closer to 4/4 than 3/4 which for cypress didn't add much weight, but may add some extra strength.

showphoto.php

HTH,
Sam

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Has anyone seen plans for a similar but higher chair. The cabin we rented in the mountains had some. They are similar to the Adirondack design only in a high-chair version. It turns out to be great for looking over the deck railing at the great mountain views. I've been trying to find plans to make one ever since seeing them.

- Ken.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Has anyone seen plans for a similar but higher chair. The cabin we rented in the mountains had some. They are similar to the Adirondack design only in a high-chair version. It turns out to be great for looking over the deck railing at the great mountain views. I've been trying to find plans to make one ever since seeing them.

- Ken.

How high do you mean? The plans from woodgears might be a good start, they raise the chairs up to normal height.

http://woodgears.ca/lawn_chairs/index.html

Travis

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice link but these chairs are tall enough that you need a foot-rest to hike yourself up into them. They are great for leaning back and looking over the top of a deck railing.

- Ken.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
It's like an adirondack chair on stilts.
This could be a real bonus for those who have difficulty getting out of the standard chairs that are so low to the ground.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I guess I should go search the sketchup libraries on Google and see if I can find an Adirondack plan that I can modify the base.

- Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS