Jakes Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
Well this is my first stab at a Jakes chair. It is nowhere near perfect but it should hold together. Just need to get it painted.

IMG_2430_1024x768.JPG

IMG_2430_1024x768.JPG

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
The wood is White wood from one of the BORGS. I got it since it was cheap and this was initially going to be a prototype but I am going to stick it outside. I might keep it natural. I have to sand it some more to get rid of all the Sharpie marks I have on it. We'll see. I really would like to do one out of Poplar or Cypress now. Just need to save up the money. :)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice chair, Kevin!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

A pair out of cypress would last a long time, I would think.

Wayne

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Great job! Thats a mighty comfortable looking chair. I can see how you could use it as a platform for beverage sippery on a cool summer evening.

I recently read a good article touting the joys of finishing using an outdoor oil. Plan to try it, no clue what an outdoor oil finish is, but that won't stop me!

You can also try bleach or oxyclean to get out the sharpie marks. Might be a lot of sanding.

Jim

Gregory Paolini

New User
Gregory Paolini
Cool chair! Just a note, avoid poplar for outdoor use - It won't hold up... White oak on the other hand is a very weather resistant wood

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice job on the chair Kevin. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap If you just used pine, I would finish it with some spar or paint it, or it won't last long in the great outdoors.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
Jim it is a very comfortable chair and the arms a very large and can hold a drink with no problem. This chair is a little taller and alot wider than a standard adirondack chair. It's seat slats are 27" wide.

Gregory thanks for the note on the poplar I will go with White Oak or Cypress for the next one. I don't know that this one will hold up for to long but the wood was cheap so I am not to concerned about it. It was a confidence builder as I had never done anything like this so I will be more comfortable spending more money on wood next time around.

Trent yeah I figured I would paint it since it the wood is cheap stuff and I don't know if it would last long, hopefully the paint will help it get through at least one season or two. :)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Trent yeah I figured I would paint it since it the wood is cheap stuff and I don't know if it would last long, hopefully the paint will help it get through at least one season or two. :smile:

I'm not sure if anyone on here has ever used Kilz or Perma white to paint outdoor furniture, but we use it all the time at work because it seals and prevents moisture from getting inside. Has anyone used this for outdoor furniture?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I'm not sure if anyone on here has ever used Kilz or Perma white to paint outdoor furniture, but we use it all the time at work because it seals and prevents moisture from getting inside. Has anyone used this for outdoor furniture?

Trent.

I built two pair of Adirondacks out of SYP for a couple living down on Oak Island (within the last 3 years). I applied Kilz as a primer and top coated with a good Sherwin Williams oil enamel on the 1st pair. I used Zinsser Bullseye 123 primer and the same topcoat on the second pair.

All four chairs (and table / footstools) are standing up well down there in the salt air. :icon_thum

Wayne

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I built two of those with the footrests 3 years ago and primed and painted them with rustoleum. They are in great shape and are by far my most comfortable chairs. Great job Kevin.

Joe Lyddon

New User
Joe Lyddon
I've been wanting to make one of those for a long time.

What kind of problems did you run into... if any? Plans OK?

What kind of screws did you use?

Glue it too?

Really looks COOL...

Any Side View pics?

Thank you...

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
I've been wanting to make one of those for a long time.

What kind of problems did you run into... if any? Plans OK?

What kind of screws did you use?

Glue it too?

Really looks COOL...

Any Side View pics?

Thank you...

No problems really. I had to adjust the legs a little to allow the lower back brace to sit flush but then that caused a small issue with spacing the seat slats. I did use some plans to make the templates so I could make several sets. As far as screws I used 2" and 1.5" Drywall screws, I didn't glue any of it so I could take it apart if I royally screwed something up. It went together pretty good so I'm just gonna go with it.

The one thing I will probably do is build another Brace for under the seat slats, to give them a little support in the middle. I can see over time them breaking over time without it.

I will get some side shots. I have already started painting it but will still get some for you. I am just using and exterior Latex on them. I need to fill the holes in the arms so it is smooth across the top but other than that I am done after all the paint dries. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS