It's Alive...(cue creepy music and sinister laugh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Well folks I told you it was done and here's the pics to prove it:

an aerial view of the top:wink_smil:

the end vise:

and the coffin vise/crochet combo (with action pics):

I finished it with 2 coats of blond shellac. It then sat for 2 weeks while a built a new lumber rack and moved around half the shop so the beast would fit. It rests nicely behind my new shortened out feed table, which still allows me to cut a 8 ft piece of plywood without it falling off the back yeah!

In use so far it been pretty cool-I've found new clamping methods for allot of things that before would have resulted in prolific use of adult language.

And for those who read my last post I made a trip to Klingspors and now I'm a the happy owner of several boxes of high quality screws starting with 1", going up to 3" in 1/4 increments! No more BORG crap for me!!

Thanks for looking-enjoy

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Too bad about all those holes in the top. Did you buy the wood at the BORG too? :rotflm::rotflm:

Great job on the new workbench. Use it in good health.

Ernie

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I really like the tree carving in your coffin vise...nice attention to detail.

Dave:)

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Perfect man! That looks great and it's stout as heck! Not sure how you got that HUGE 8' bench to fit in that spot, but you did! Awesome work!

M

McRabbet

Beautiful bench, Mike -- My only concern would be the capacity of the end vise and possible racking when loaded off-center -- too bad you didn't opt for the LV Twin Screw one, but it is a bit pricey... Love the coffin vise and its embellishment...

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Great looking bench + outfeed table. Good use of space!
One Q though; What's the difference between a knee vise and a coffin vise?

jstraw

John
User
Beautiful job on the bench. The extra touches on the vise look real nice. Looks like a real comfortable bench to use, great job.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Whoa, that's a nice bench! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I love to look at the design features on new benches. It looks like you put some thought into what you built.

Nice drive by on the small bench plane too! :mrgreen:

Chuck

JohnW

New User
John
Awesome bench Michael. You did a real nice job of designing and building it. And you great great grand kids will like using it as well.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Joe-I think the knee vise is the same thing-the name coffin vise just comes from the shape of the piece.

Rob-I will probably use the LV twin screw on the next bench, this one is just the prototype in true Norm fashion. I'm going to use it awhile and see what I like and dislike and then build another with a few different details out of Euro Beech. David Marks uses a tail vise similar to mine in his bench and that's where I got the idea. As far as wracking I'm going to test the quality of Czech republic construction and wrack it until something breaks:gar-La;.

Thanks all for the positive comments-I can't wait to put it through some real work-maybe in April,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS