ISO wood for teething toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

knb226

New User
Kelly
Trying to make my son some teething toys for christmas, and I need untreated, sustainably grown hard wood like maple. Looking for pieces about 1/2" to 3/4" thick. Anyone have any ideas or any sources? Checked woodcraft and a few other sites, but I didn't find anything useful.

Want to do something like this:
breastfeedingsymbol1.jpg
or this:
holey2.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Pretty much any hardwood supplier these days is going to carry sustainably harvested timbers. If the timber harvesters aren't sustainable they won't stay in business. Now they might not all have a fancy certificate to go with their wood as that will cost them more and increase the price of their product. You should be able to find hard or soft maple at any lumber yard, that will suit your project well. I don't know of any treating process that is done to hardwoods.

MTCW,
Dave:)

decibel

New User
Patrick
+1 on what DaveO said. I'm sure some members here can probably help out as well for what you're looking to do. I know I have plenty of shorts that would work for you (I have soft maple and other hardwoods). You're welcome to them to clear some space :) Some of it is still rough and you can clean up what you need on my jointer / planer if u need.

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I always got the wood for toys like that from a Green Log.
I wold cut it into rough slabs with a chainsaw and then plane it down. It wold have to dry but I know where it came from and for the most part where it had been.
If you want I can see about rough cutting some up the next time I cut wood for my mother in law. I'm sure we can get them to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS