Is this worth looking at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Sent an email about this this AM... Does this look like a good deal? This would be my first plane... anything I should be wary of if I go check it out?

Thanks,

Travis

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/1756163396.html

Early Stanley Bailey #4 smooth plane, type 8 (made around 1900). It's been de-rusted and cleaned, and is ready for another 100 years. Two small issues: small nick in the edge of the lever cap (see pic below), and the handle was cracked and glued - doesn't show in the pic, but you can tell if you look close.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
3n53k83md5O55Q15X1a5nc3824e98d5b218d6.jpg
3nc3pf3lb5O25Z35R4a5na95e6d0e219d11c1.jpg
3o73pa3l25V15W65U6a5nf090ce9cfe931aae.jpg

SgtSnafu

Libraries
Scotty
Hey Travis,

I do not know a great deal about planes, but It does look like a good one (if sole is flat). I believe it would make a good starter plane. As to being a good price - I'd say so because of the time savings not having to clean it up, if you want a vintage plane...

Later - Scotty

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Assuming you're buying this to use vs. collect, it would be hard to go wrong for $35.

The seller has been very specific in his/her description, which is also a promising sign.

I would: i) check to make sure that all of the parts are present and that nothing is cracked, ii) check the sole is flat (not twisted/warped) and iii) that the mouth of the plane hasn't been abused with a file.

-Mark

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
If you pick it up post some pics of the identifying marks. I'm almost 90% positive it's not more than 30yrs old.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
If you pick it up post some pics of the identifying marks. I'm almost 90% positive it's not more than 30yrs old.

That would be a shame... because back around 1900 is a 'used to'... you know... when they say, 'They don't make em like they used to." If it is from (circa) 1900, buy it before the next heartbeat. (long as it doesn't have any damage)

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Good news folks. Turns out this is actually owned by a fellow NCWWer, Tim Green (tjgreen). He had been planning to post a classified but I beat him to it. We're working on the details of the transaction now.

Trav

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Dang it, the internet moves too fast. I'm actually selling that plane, to help pay for the ones I'm keeping, was gonna post to ncww this morning at a discount to save me from finishing fettling and sharpening.

I typed it according to the pictorial on rexmill.com, but I'm pretty new at this, so feel free to help. Why I called it type 8: it has a B on the sole and rear of the cap, low knob, no frog adjustment screw, old Stanley mark on the blade, single patent date on the lateral adjuster, and the older solid brass screw caps on the handles. Here's a link to some before and after pics:

http://tjgreen.smugmug.com/Other/Bailey-4/12295704_4eEC4#874144060_BKFmr

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
There are two clues that this plane is fairly old (probably early 1900's). First, no frog adjustment. This was a later modification by Stanley. Second, the short "knob" in the front. If you look at the progression over the years, the knob keeps getting taller.

As for the chip in the cap iron, I wouldn't worry about it. If there was a chip in the chip breaker or the throat, that would be a different matter. The crack and re-glue in the tote (rear handle) are very common and not a big issue for a "user" plane. For a "collector" it would be different.

Bill

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I stand corrected. It was in good shape to be for the price asked. I looked through some references and from all I can tell, you are 100% right. It's a type 8 and a right nice looking one too. I've been brushing up alot on planes since I got afew not too long ago.

lottathought

New User
Michael
There are two clues that this plane is fairly old (probably early 1900's). First, no frog adjustment. This was a later modification by Stanley. Second, the short "knob" in the front. If you look at the progression over the years, the knob keeps getting taller.

As for the chip in the cap iron, I wouldn't worry about it. If there was a chip in the chip breaker or the throat, that would be a different matter. The crack and re-glue in the tote (rear handle) are very common and not a big issue for a "user" plane. For a "collector" it would be different.

Bill

Also, the slot for the screw is straight..(not kidney shaped)..That puts this plane in the late 1800- early 1900 range.

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Also, the slot for the screw is straight..(not kidney shaped)..That puts this plane in the late 1800- early 1900 range.

Think they actually started the kidney-shaped slot in the 1930s. I found this site very helpful in typing planes, with a handy picture reference - see Type Study at right: rexmill.com

gator8686

New User
Bruce
Hey Sub Guy,

Why did assume from the pictures the plame was less than 30 years old?
I also collect hand planes and I want to make sure not to make that same mistake.

Thanks

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
Alot of Iron left on the Blade for an older blade, looked like a replacement. Looked like it had a low nob in the front, which is a sign of the early planes but it looked like it wasn't very worn. Seller originally didn't post any identifying marks except the the No. 4 on the front and the Blade. It looked like a really nice plan to be that old and there are alot of replacements parts (or so I've been warned) that do not carry the well known "Stanley" as in the Lever Cap even though this is something common with the older planes. But then after seeing the other pics I saw the foundry marks and the style of the Frog and now stand corrected. Does that make sense? I think for the most part I just judged too quickly. There are some phenomenal books I have looked though and there are some very interesting points of view on the way people try to type planes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS