Is this Maple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Hey folks
Take a look at these pics please and confirm/dispute the species.
I thought that it was Maple, and maybe it is. However while milling it produced a spaghetti like chips out of the planer like Cypress does.
Soft Maple maybe?

Thanks

MAC
Jason_Desk_006.jpg

Jason_Desk_004.jpg

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
looks like maple but it also looks like elm. if it is maple the chips you describe are possible if it's not quite dry.

Umich684

New User
Jake
95% on the Maple. The mills up north talk about a 'grey' maple as one that just gumms up the blades. It's usually just Box-Elder(a maple with different leaves), that grows pretty quick for that species. With a very light sealer it stains the same as regular hard maple in my experience.

I have found that the heartwood in those logs is just crap, really flaky and splintered after kilning. Thou everything else under the cambium, usually 2-3" is pretty solid maple.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey Mac,

Long time no see on the site. Hows things been? Still loving that Dado set I got from you.

And the Wood looks like Maple to me, I have some bowl blanks that look like that. And some of the bowl blanks...Not dry...When I was cutting them up, the wood was stringy on the blank on one side and nice and smooth on the other side???

Matthew

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I just got 16 bf of S4S soft maple (Acer rubrum) from The Hardwood Store a few days ago. It sure looks a lot like the pics that you posted. I can post a pic of my stuff for comparison if you're still in doubt. What I received is nice stuff, no stringiness or other noticeable defects. The 2 boards are 14' x 7 1/8" and clear both sides.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Here's a few pics of soft maple. S4S lightly sanded to 150 via ROS & 3 coats of Waterlox "Original". Not a particularly exciting piece of wood as far as grain and figure. Maybe a 1# cut of Zinsser Seal Coat shellac would pop the grain before the WLX coats. Any opinions on that idea? Flanked by ash and QSRO (courtesy of Jeff Mills) finished in the same way.

P1220120.jpg

P1220121.jpg

:roll:

Send me your thoughts, ideas, and suggestions. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS