Is this a good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Kelly, I can't make out the maker of the lathe, but it appears it may be an older Delta, looks lilke the previous owner raised the headstock and tailstock a bit. Seems like it might be a tad pricy though.

knb226

New User
Kelly
What are some things I need to ask about it and what is a fair price? And I know what you mean by raising stuff but where are the headstock and tailstock located?

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
3k33m03pd5Z65Q55U4a5n7c2b85f2b72c1710.jpg

Single red circle is the headstock, the red and blue is the tailstock. I would say if it is a delta than $150 ish would be fair, but you should know that this lathe will be much better suited to spindle turning than bowl turning at least w/o modification.

I would ask the make, and model. Speed range? And what if any modifications where made.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
The headstock and tail stock are what the wood spins on. The headstock is connected to the motor, the tail stock is brought up and secures the work piece. Here is a diagram. It looks from the photo that someone has put a riser block under both the head and tail stock.

knb226

New User
Kelly
3k33m03pd5Z65Q55U4a5n7c2b85f2b72c1710.jpg

Single red circle is the headstock, the red and blue is the tailstock. I would say if it is a delta than $150 ish would be fair, but you should know that this lathe will be much better suited to spindle turning than bowl turning at least w/o modification.

I would ask the make, and model. Speed range? And what if any modifications where made.

Okay thank you, I figured it was with those pieces just wasn't sure which were which. What is the difference between spindle turning and bowl turning (I am guessing this is what you do to spin a bowl?)

algustaf

New User
Al
Looks like a black and white Craftsman 1XX.XXXXX type badge on the one side of it. Try OWWM.com for other pics of similar lathes.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Spindles tend to be longer and thin and can spin faster, bowls are short and squat and must start much slower.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Spindle turning is turning a piece of wood with the grain running between the headstock and tailstock. A few examples would be: pens, finials, table legs, pepper mills, etc.

When you're turning a bowl, the grain (usually) runs perpendicular to the head/tail stock, meaning that you will have endgrain on the sides.

Somebody else may be able to explain this better, but that's a start. :icon_thum

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
someone chime in with the # on that HF lathe that can be had for under $ 200

several members have it and are please with it.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
I would not recommend that lathe to anyone any longer. It has the serious potential to turn someone off from turning at all.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
You wouldn't reccomend the Harbor Freight lathe?

It is a very good starter lathe that many of us (including me) have and are satisfied with. If you really get into turning with a passion, you will probably want to upgrade sometime in the future. However, for the not so passionate turner, it would serve you well.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
It seems that folks that bought the HF lathe before say...... two years ago or before, have had good success with it. However, I've spoken to a lot of other folks who bought more recent models and had the motor go bad (or other problems). I'm included in the latter group. :BangHead:

Some people swear by it, and they should, if they haven't had any problems with it. For me, however, I will never recommend a machine that has died on me after a very short amount of time. Therefore, and this is my opinion only. I would say to stay as far away from that lathe as possible. Spend a little more and get a machine you can count on. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

As for which brand, etc. It really depends on what you want to turn. I like to turn bowls, pens, bottle stoppers, etc. Unless you have the money or want to really be able to turn BIG bowls, etc, you would be fine with a bench top lathe.

This is one that I've had my eye on. With that one, you could spend an extra $50 and get the bed extension if you wanted to turn some really long pieces. :icon_thum

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Kelly,

It sounds like you are wanting get started learning to turn. I would put off buying a lathe until I had tried a couple different ones and knew what types of projects I wanted to produce.

Most lathes are not multipurpose nor one size fits all. You may find that you have spent money that you regret on something that won't do what you want.

A few Saturdays spent visiting members near you who can teach you the basics, give you a little practice time and show you the wide range of tools available for different aspects of turning could be time wisely invested.

Just say the word and I'm sure folks will be happy to help.

knb226

New User
Kelly
Kelly,

It sounds like you are wanting get started learning to turn. I would put off buying a lathe until I had tried a couple different ones and knew what types of projects I wanted to produce.

Most lathes are not multipurpose nor one size fits all. You may find that you have spent money that you regret on something that won't do what you want.

A few Saturdays spent visiting members near you who can teach you the basics, give you a little practice time and show you the wide range of tools available for different aspects of turning could be time wisely invested.

Just say the word and I'm sure folks will be happy to help.

Thanks for the advice and unless I come across an incredible deal that is probably what I will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS