Is this a fair price? Delta 52-866X

ClayM325

New User
Clay
Hello,
I am in the market for a jointer, and found a delta 52-866X for $400, does that price seem fair? I cant seem to find much information on it.

Thanks!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The seller read the wrong tag. Understandable. It happens a lot.
52-866 is listed as a Stand for the 37-195 T2, 37-275X jointers according to Delta's J-2I Parts illustration.
So the stand fits under either of those two jointers.
Both are Asian import jointers although sometimes the stands are USA-made.
Condition is everything. Rusty and beat up with dull knives, not such a bargain. Pristine with sharp knives, still a little strong unless you're desperate.

ClayM325

New User
Clay
The seller read the wrong tag. Understandable. It happens a lot.
52-866 is listed as a Stand for the 37-195 T2, 37-275X jointers according to Delta's J-2I Parts illustration.
So the stand fits under either of those two jointers.
Both are Asian import jointers although sometimes the stands are USA-made.
Condition is everything. Rusty and beat up with dull knives, not such a bargain. Pristine with sharp knives, still a little strong unless you're desperate.

Perfect, thank you for your response!!

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Not sure if age matters, but many of the older models were designed with rebuilding or replacing parts in mind. While they are no longer made, the more popular brands often have parts availability better than some of the more recent tools.

edit: Agree with Bob—that’s a bit expensive given the availability of used 6” jointers.

Last edited:

ClayM325

New User
Clay
Not sure if age matters, but many of the older models were designed with rebuilding or replacing parts in mind. While they are no longer made, the more popular brands often have parts availability better than some of the more recent tools.

edit: Agree with Bob—that’s a bit expensive given the availability of used 6” jointers.

Age doesn't really matter just don't want something REALLY old with Babbitt bearings lol. Have to deal with those on some machines at work already and hate them

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I'm guessing something from the 1960s or 1970s would be good to search for like these 6" Powermatic Model 50s from the 1970s. Often they can be found cheap because the seller is too lazy or incompetent to rebuild them. A rebuild generally encompasses taking apart, cleaning the ways, replacing the bearings and knives and you're good for another 30-40 years.

View attachment 29728

ClayM325

New User
Clay
I'm guessing something from the 1960s or 1970s would be good to search for like these 6" Powermatic Model 50s from the 1970s. Often they can be found cheap because the seller is too lazy or incompetent to rebuild them. A rebuild generally encompasses taking apart, cleaning the ways, replacing the bearings and knives and you're good for another 30-40 years.

View attachment 29728

Ah man I'd love something like that.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
LOL
I had one of those once. Had to weld up a stand for it.
Take a very large anvil. Make it into a short bed jointer. Its at least that heavy. At least.
Took two of us to get it off the floor and up on the stand and that was 25 years ago.
I'll have to say that very few 8" jointers are built that strongly and some 12" jointers aren't as strongly built.

View attachment 29729

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Keep your eye on Facebook Market place and Craigs list. Should be able to find one for a good bit less. I saw one just last weekend on FB, an old Jet, for $150. Needed a new on/off switch, it was direct wired. Plug it in and its on. But was a good deal if it worked. It was gone same day. I see them in the $200-300 range regularly.

ClayM325

New User
Clay
Keep your eye on Facebook Market place and Craigs list. Should be able to find one for a good bit less. I saw one just last weekend on FB, an old Jet, for $150. Needed a new on/off switch, it was direct wired. Plug it in and its on. But was a good deal if it worked. It was gone same day. I see them in the $200-300 range regularly.

yep I saw it too, but on CL. Emailed the guy immediately, then late the next day he responded that it was sold.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
If you're talking about that American jointer, it is ball bearing. BIG ball bearings at that. That would be a great machine for someone that likes restoring the vintage machines an can make a guard. The cutterhead is big and takes a long time wind down. The knives aren't going to be found at Woodcraft or Harbor Freight. The short out feed bed will limit the length of stock that can be used. Rule of thumb: Three times the length of the outfeed table is about maximum that can be comfortably be done. The Powermatic Model 50 6" jointer has a 24" outfeed table so five or six feet is about all the operator will want to be doing. I think more than price, one should consider utility in the shop first.
I think for a first jointer an old Sears box bed will serve better than that American jointer, particularly if you're looking for low up front cost.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS