Is this a decent deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I'd try to get him down to $125. You'll end up replacing that DC in quick order, but the 4" pipe and accessories would still be very handy.

Edit...I say replace b/c you'll out grow it rather fast.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Jeff, a couple of things come to mind when I read the add. First, a 1hp system isn't really that strong. It's decent for one machine at a time, as long as your piping run isn't too long from the collector. There a lot of fittings with it, so they will be worth something. I don't recall seeing whether they are plastic or metal fittings. Maybe I missed it. The metal would be worth more, at least to me.

Second thing I thought about is the difficulty of collecting dust from a lathe. There was a thread here on that topic several months ago. It was started by Mike Davis, so if you want to read what others had to say, search the archives for his threads. I think most people agreed it was one of the most difficult machines to adequately collect dust/chips from. You can do a fairly decent job of collecting fine dust when sanding on the lathe, but when it comes to chips when turning, forget it.

HTH

Bill

JeffR

New User
Jeff Ross
Thanks, I may read up before purchasing. I don't mind sweeping up the chips, Its the dust in the air that I can't stand. I wear a mask when turning, but the dust remains for a while when I stop. Plus it gets all over everything, and can't be good for the dogs to breath.

Thanks
Jeff

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
On another note, when ( and yes I said when:gar-La;) you decide to upgrade to a larger unit you'll probably want to upgrade to 6" pipe which will remove chips and dust much better. So I'm not sure this would be a good deal at all unless you are in a very small shop.

Read up on your options before even looking into anything, and best of luck.

Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS