Is there such a beast???? pics added

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am going to make some boxes this weekend for my mother to give as X-mas gifts. They will be heart shaped with a heart shaped locking key piece. I want the lid to pivot on the point of the heart. I plan to use some sort of a pivot pin, but the more that I think about the design, the more I think I may have a problem. In order to remove the locking key you have to turn the box upside down, using a pivot pin epoxied into either the lid or the box would allow the lid to potentially fall off when the box is turned upside down. So on to my inquiry...Is there any sort of pivot assembly that turns within itself and could be epoxied into both the box and lid. I checked Woodcraft on-line and didn't see anything, I could order them if I could find them, but I don't know if I am hunting for something that doesn't exist. Any thoughts or experience along these lines? Thanks in advance, Dave:)

DavidF

New User
David
Re: Is there such a beast????

First thought without seeing the box, if you want to solve the pivot problem rather than address the lock is to have a "T" shaped round pin I.E a "nail" shaped thing that goes up from the bottom through a clearance hole and is then epoxied into the top. The head would rotate in a counterbore in the bottom so that it is flush or below the surface so the box sits flat.

Big Mike

New User
Mike

I have done exactly as David describes with great success. I just cut the nail to the appropriate length, drill a countersunk hole for the nail head and a through hole for the shank of the nail. Then a hole in the lid the same size as the shank and you are in business. Tighter on the shank is better than looser. Also be aware that you should not use a water based finish as you can have some ugly black stains show up around the nail area. Just be careful when putting glue into the pin hole. If you plug the nail head hole be careful to not get glue on the nail head. DAMHIKT!!!!:eusa_thin

TimRice

New User
Tim

Would it help to wax the parts you don't want glue to stick to?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
DavidF, that is a great idea, I don't know why I didn't think of it myself. Here are some more details of the project I am planning to undertake, these may assist in the brainstorming process. The first are of a box I made long ago, showing the basic concept. The next is a drawing I made to illustrate what I am planning to do this time. Instead of cutting the sliding key and the locking key, I thought I could make the lid just pivot, and keep the locking key, making it much easier to make 4 of them. What do ya'll think of the proportions of the box, I am making it a little larger to be more practical. Thanks for your continued thoughts. Dave:)

Boxdetails002.jpg

Boxdetails003.jpg

img005.jpg

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dave, I think the nail trick will work just fine for you. If the area where the pivot is located is drawn to scale you will have to use a nail with a smaller head. A 10d or 12d nail is equivalent in shank diameter to 1/8" so if you can get hold of a nice 10d casement nail it would serve your purposes perfectly. After you have adjusted the nail to the proper length, file some notches in the area where it will be glued into the lid. Then when you epoxy it the notches will provide some bite for the glue. You can also take a small piece of wax paper and put it between the top and body of the box while the glue is curing in case there is any squeeze out. You can whittle a little peg to fill the countersunk hole on the bottom and make the pivot pin hole completely disappear. Works like a charm. And yes, a little wax on the nail shank everywhere but the glue area is a good idea.

I will post a picture in my gallery album of some swivel lid boxes I made using the same technique.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks, Mike I was worried about the length of the nail need, but your advice is right on. That gonna be my plan. Stay tune for ,hopefully, progress pictures tonight, or maybe even some compete pics. My wife and daughter have gone to grandma's for the weekend so I have unlimited shop time, whoooho! Off to make some dust!

Dave:)

DavidF

New User
David
Hey DaveO, how do you hold that key while bandsawing it? how do you make sure it stays vertical being so tall with a small foot print?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The key is sawn out of the box after the base is sawn off and before the lid comes off, it is still a huge block of wood. Then I throw it on it's side and cut off a 1/4" and replace it with a scrolled sawn piece of curly maple. Very simple when you figure out the sequence. Finally, I get to answer a question for DavidF, this is a good day for me:eusa_danc

Dave:)

tlself

New User
Terry Self
Somebody in catalogland used to sell something called a Rotohinge (Roto-Hinge,
Roto Hinge, ?-- maybe it was Constantine's, have not received a mailer or seen an ad from them in ages)

Imagine two wood plugs, separated by a spacer/washer, pinned together with a rivet. Drill two mortises and glue the plugs in.

Never saw one in the flesh.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I have used the roto-hinge and they come in two sizes neither of which is small enough for this application. They are more suited for things like folding tray tables and such.... I suppose they might be available in smaller sizes but I have not seen them. I had enough trouble with the 1/2" size which had the wooden piece chipping off the metal swivel if you looked at it wrong....I think I bought mine from Rockler a few years ago and I may have some in my hardware never to used again drawer....:lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yep, I checked out Rockler and found the same thing. Not really designed for a box with 1/4" thick walls. But definitely something to keep in mind for larger projects. Thanks looking in to it for me. I appreciate it. Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well let's not bump heads as I knee down also. You make beautiful functional funiture and I make little boxes not really designed to hold anything...who should be in awe. Thanks:-D Dave:)

DavidF

New User
David
You are a gentleman and a scholar Sir....

If I lose any more sleep over whether to wipe on the finish on the legs of this table or brush; I'm going to start making little boxes!!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Awright guys! First of all we don't have a monarchy here (at least not officially :lol:), so kneeling is not required. Secondly, I've seen the demilune table and the heart box in the flesh--uh, wood. Both are exemplary :eusa_clap

Enviously :jealous:
Sapwood

DavidF

New User
David
ever the diplomat. I think DO's box is fantastic. I have made a few over the years and they are harder than they look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS