Is there interest in a turning workshop in the Western part of the state

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
If I remember correctly several years ago Jeremy had a workshop in the Charlotte area on making pepper mills.
I can't recall a lot of details but Charlotte was a bit of a drive and I wound up working the day they scheduled it,
couldn't swap shifts, and I wasn't able to make it. I just wanted to.
There are a few things needed for making pepper mills, mostly a few larger sized forstner style bits that a lot
of people might not have on hand.
Since Christmas is just around the corner - (hey yesterday made it 6 months) and I know I am bad to procrastinate,
I'd like to see if there is any interest in trying to get a turning workshop together.
I figure by the time we poll for interest, set a date, and make an order there might be time to get some things made
before Christmas actually is upon us.
Anyone in the western part of the state experienced in making pepper mills and want to lead?
Also Bill let out that he and his wife are quite experienced in making turned Christmas ornaments of various styles.
I know we have plenty of pen turners and bottle stopper makers as well.
Is all this too much for one workshop? Should we stick to one item? Should we try for a few dates? Is anyone even interested?
It is all open for discussion.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Andy good luck getting this going. Really hope it works out. Would love to attend something like this.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Yes I am interested and for once I wouldn't have to drive all day to get to a workshop count me in if I have enough time I can schedule a day off.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
GREAT idea,
Let me know what you need and how I can help Andy!

I think one project is great, but we might get more people if we have two projects...

I REALLY like the idea of a "Christmas project turning workshop!"

I will throw another potential project in there: Christmas ornaments
We talked about those at lunch on Wednesday!

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
I'd be interested, but carving out a full day to be away from home / kids / honey-do list is difficult.

IF it happens, and IF I can get away, I have two lathes that are farily portable. I can demonstrate pens or we can set up a drilling station and a couple of turning stations.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Thank you all for the responses.
I am thinking maybe trying for September, hoping for a little cooler weather. That should give plenty of time for planning, ordering kits, gathering wood etc. Then after we work out any bugs, anyone that is interested in making some for Christmas would have time to get ready.
Hank I had thought of that and hoped that maybe Bill and/or his wife might be interested in sharing some of their Christmas ornament experience.
Looks like some interest, good stuff!

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Hey Jeremy! We can all pile up and car pool down - maybe about January when it is colder than dangit??
Any ideas, suggestions, or tips since you did this before?

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Andy,
after the Klingspore show - we may have the opportunity to have the trailer if we want it (end of October... beginning of November - just a thought in case we need more Lathes?

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Hank that is a thought. I don't know where the trailer is, but imagine it is kept quite a good bit east of here. Still not out of the question.
I don't want to wait too long to try to get a workshop set. I would like to have the workshop in September. If we wait until November, then Christmas IS pretty close and time always seems to slip away in a hurry.
When is the next lunch? I have some thoughts we could bounce off a group.

Last edited:

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Nettie would be willing to demo Christmas ornaments. Some of her designs can be done in about fifteen minutes, others up to 75 minutes.

sestes

New User
Steve
I love the idea of a Christmas project workshop. Always looking for good ideas for gifts. I would be interested in a workshop like that.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just talking out loud. The NCWW trailer will be in Winston-Salem Sept 11-14 and then in Hickory Oct 16-18. Phil S and KenofCary know the schedule better then I do but it might be available from mid Sept to Mid Oct and immediately after the Hickory show. Any one with a regular license and tow vehicle with hitch (2" ball) could haul it.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
OKAY Andy!

Let's make this thing happen!

If we can brake Adam free we have pen turning. I am hopeful that Bill and Nettie can be there - the Christmas ornament demo would be cool. I would like to try to turn it into more of a workshop so we would walk away with something after the day is complete...

1. We need a venue
2. We need a date (after October 19th)
Not necessarily in that order

Unfortunately I just realized that I am double booked on the 19th!
I will be out of town on the 25th so my preference is November 1st or 8th...

But - do not go by me, let's figure out what the majority wants...

Is there a shop where we can do this, or have we done workshops in the past and if so where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS