Is there a suitable, cost effective replacement for cypress?

tonyps

New User
Tony
Afternoon,
I have been attempting to find a suitable, affordable replacement for cypress, which I use for outdoor furniture and stuff. Cypress has become obscenely expensive if you can find it.

Thanks for you input.
Tony

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
eastern red cedar, red wood, western cedar are 3 that come to mind in that classification. Teak is not cheap but good for outdoors.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
How far away are you looking?

There is a seller in Columbia, SC selling 1x6x8 for $6. There used to be two sellers near Charleston selling for about the same or less, but I can’t find their ads at the moment.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Ivey at Burgaw cuts cypress. Jack Murdock stocks cypress also. Look at our list of sawyers to find a local source. Cut out the middle man, and save.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
There was a thread on the NCWW FaceBook page about using heat-treated Poplar. That may be an option worth checking out. White Oak is another rot resistant wood but Cypress and Teak are the best.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
To me nothing is like cypress,, but some of the junipers have wood that will look like it.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Teak is the only thing that came to my mind, but it is not cheap either. We have a couple of rockers and a glider on the porch made out of Teak. They have held up very well to the weather - they are on a covered porch, but have been exposed to the weather for at least ten years.

Gripbd

BD
User
You might try Veach Lumber in Warsaw. 910-293-4901 I’ve gotten cypress there in the past. I used it because it was specified by the customer, but it is my understanding that only old growth cypress (which is not readily available) is rot resistant. New growth cypress is rated about the same as SYP.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
You might try Veach Lumber in Warsaw. 910-293-4901 I’ve gotten cypress there in the past. I used it because it was specified by the customer, but it is my understanding that only old growth cypress (which is not readily available) is rot resistant. New growth cypress is rated about the same as SYP.
I had not heard about this difference (old/new growth) in cypress. Can you say a little more about why that is?

Gripbd

BD
User
I’m not sure why. I also don’t know how to post a link in my reply, but if you google “rot resistance of cypress“ you’ll find the same information.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
My cypress porch has held up well since installing several years ago. I let it weather for a year or two before finishing with Armstrong wood stain/finish. From 2012/2013:

I recently replaced a few boards to eliminate joints and poor fitting cuts from when I first installed the boards. I ended up reusing the removed boards to make drawer faces and the while the boards were dirty and moldy on the outside the underlying lumber looked brand new (no rotting like untreated SYP).

Last edited:

Pokey

New User
Jerry
Mosey limber company in Scotland neck sales short cypress. A friend bought a bundle that was about 8 feet long. I tried to send a picture of the Josey business card. They advertise these bundles on Facebook. They are in ScotlandNeck.
They are a few miles off of 64 from Tarboro. Take your kids and go to Sylvan center. Josey lumber is just past Sylvan Center.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 150
Reactions: Oka

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS