IS SAWSTOP QUALITY SLIPPING?

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
Just got a Sawstop PCS 3 HP saw with 52" extension table delivered. The older Sawstop had a pretty heavy steel extension table that came with it. This one has a laminated table that I spent an hour or so trying to get in plane with the cast iron table but it was so warped it was impossible. I called tech support, was helped immediately and told they would send a replacement asap. I asked if they had a steel extension table rather than the laminated but they no longer make the steel table. While I appreciate the good customer service, let's take into consideration that this saw isn't cheap as well as the fact that it has increased in price considerably over the last 6-7 years.
Why would they replace a sturdy steel table with one that has a wooden frame and a top laminated on only one side that will inevitably warp. Yeah, I know the answer but how else will they cut corners on an expensive machine just to increase profits?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yup .......... that sucks. Also, when buying anything these days you need to see if it is #1 cast iron, #2 or #3. My porter cable drill press has #3 cast table, very cheap metal, the rest is good, but that is their cut in QC -for increasing profits ......... :rolleyes::confused:

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Hi Oka, This is new to me. I've been buying machines for around 60 years and I've never heard of #1, #2 & #3 cast iron. What are the difference? Were do you find these different cast irons?

Pop :eek:

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I don’t know if things change but I had one of the originals ICS models. Extension table was a wood frame with a laminated top. Never had a problem in the 10 years I owned it.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
I don’t know if things change but I had one of the originals ICS models. Extension table was a wood frame with a laminated top. Never had a problem in the 10 years I owned it.

I have a 3HP PCS and mine too had a wood frame extension with laminated top. This was 2015 or 2016. I didn't know that the extension table was ever steel.

The odd quality control item in my SS purchase was that the left-hand cast iron extension had no holes drilled in it. SS immediately sent a new extension by speedy delivery (which could not have been cheap given the weight).

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I bought my PCS within the last year and the extension table (36 inch rip) is laminated chip board. Works fine.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS