Is it toast?

llucas

luke
Senior User
Today I was replacing the wood deck on a 17ft trailer...PT pine 2x8...using a Dewalt 20v 1/4" impact driver (it's been a good tool and seen mild to moderate use).
After driving aggressively about seventy 1/4" self drilling screws into the metal frame she got pretty hot and started to struggle. I gave her on and off rest periods to cool off but eventually it started to smoke and just wouldn't drive at all.....it this a classic I burned up the driver and it is toast?
A replacement is $90. Trash it?

teesquare

T
Senior User
Send it in to DeWalt. They may repair it and return it to you. I have done so in the past, and they never asked for a receipt or proof of purchase.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Depends on how much hassle you want to deal with.... and even in fixing often never the same. Phil is correct, Done, get another. If you are going to be that rough, the XR is designed for that type of beating.

llucas

luke
Senior User
Well, I just brought home the XR version of that tool...hopefully it will last a while in my heavy hands.
I'm also checking out the closest DeWalt repair center...might see if fixing the old one for a back-up is feasible.
Thanks for advice/opinions.

teesquare

T
Senior User
Depends on how much hassle you want to deal with.... and even in fixing often never the same. Phil is correct, Done, get another. If you are going to be that rough, the XR is designed for that type of beating.
Here is what I went thru 2 days ago:

I called DeWalt. Was on hold for about 3 minutes. Talked to customer service rep. He is sending me a new battery for one tool - and a call tag - prepaid - for another tool that needs to go in for repair.
Not much hassle. Especially considering the "way things are" currently. Buying another tool is always a good idea in my book. But - if they will repair the other one cheap or free...well - nice to have a back up.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS